What should I do with these sun machines?

A while ago, too long ago, @kewldude007 dropped me some Sun Microsystems sunblade 2500 workstations. I’ve had ideas come and go, thought of just selling them, but there HAS to be somethitg I can do with them. Right?

They’re sparc, big, and a little obnoxious. From about 2003 and they were used for cad I believe? I have a 2004 copy of solaris, but I’d like to do something newer I think. I just don’t know what to do with them.

Give me ideas! I have felt bad for not doing more with these for a post and a video, but I have time now that its cold.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Yeah, idk, the specs are in the same ballpark as a Raspberry Pi 3… and sparc is going to limit what you can do with them.

Unless you have a really specific hobby/project in mind based on sparc and solaris, then I’d break them down and see if someone will give you $$ for scrap.

1 Like

Considering you have 4 of them I would totally do modern hardware+old case

3 Likes

Actually with the one that doesn’t have any processors in it I was gunna sell the board off and do something with the case!

3 Likes

kdood had the idea of forcing them to play minecraft. Not a bad idea.

3 Likes

Make a hella sleeper build with centOS?

Probably not CentOS since they’re SPARC. Pretty sure CentOS only supports x86_64. You’d have better luck with a BSD, they seem to have a hard time killing it off.

You are going to have a “fun” time trying to find support for those UltraSPARC processors :wink:

I guess that could be an interesting project in itself (testing a modern OS on old workstations to see if they are still usable).

According to DistroWatch, the only distros that still support that architecture are Oracle Linux, FreeBSD, Gentoo Linux, OpenBSD, and NetBSD:

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?architecture=sparc64#simple

I watched a talk about OpenBSD once where the speaker mentioned how they encourage people to port it to obsolete or obscure hardware because it turned out to be an efficient way to discover bugs…

If I had to use that hardware for something, I’d use it to play with pf and relayd in OpenBSD.

Play with them, have fun with them!
Definatly look up how much they cost when brand new :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Was a few thousand dollars.

2 Likes

Right so theres 2 models, actually 4, of the 2500. Single and dual varients of 1.28GHZ and 1.67GHZ. So I have the duals, which for 1.28 looks like they were around 1100 new, and the 1.6 is… 1600 some dollars, how ironic. They aparently sell for anywhere between 400 and 800 on ebay.

Seems depending on how much ram and how many drives and what size they got over 2000 easy.