What router should I get?

Hey guys. So I’ve decided it might be time to experience a nice router that I have full control over but I’m a complete noob and routers and networking in general. Right now I’m using the rather crappy free internet my apartment has and it seems like whenever my roomie is doing something on the internet my ping in games (mainly Overwatch for now) goes to shit and is all over the place. So what kind of routers would you guys recommend? I was looking at the Linksys WRT3200ACM but I’m not sure if that would be good for me or not.

Thanks for any input!

ps. once affordable I do plan on upgrading the actual internet I got here as well.

I presume you are both using wifi?
What is the existing setup?
How much bandwidth is available at the router?

I’m using wired on my desktop but use wifi on my other devices. My roomie uses wifi.

Hard to argue with this

You can flash it back to stock or merlin. Its a little bit of work but for the money best bang.

Edit, I should note that I have the WRT3200AC and its meh. It has nice features but my old RT-N66U is more than capable of delivering all I could need on mobile devices.

2 Likes

This is the same spec as the Nighthawk when it first came out for around ~$200.

Now that’s down to sub $100!

-___-

Honestly heres how you should go about it

Stick with any 3x3 mimo AC wave 2.0 product.

4x4 is pointless we have no widespread adapter support to take advantage of it so your paying to broadcast on a spectrum you cant even use that makes zero sense right?

Honestly dont go with consumer wifi. Prosumer at the minimum and the reason i say that is better granular control over things. Especially if you ever plan to setup something more then just one access point wise. I am a fan of the Ubiquity network products… they are a good entry into this zone and wont kill your wallet. If this is of interest to you let me know. I am kind of one of the resident gurus on their products. (Requires a larger investment that usually pays off in the end)

As for consumer wifi if I had to choose anything for you it would be the Asus RT-AC68U or 66U theres not going much faster then that. Simply put on the merlin firmware they are super solid and all around great routers. (Cheapest option… solid… cant really go wrong)

wrt3200acm will run OpenWRT/LEDE , so will Netgear X4s .

You could also grab a Mikrotik hAP ac^2 for a little less money these days if you want a more out-of-the-box solution.

All of them will give you plenty of control over your network, the downside is they’ll give you that control, so you kind of need to know what’s what to get things working nicely.

2 posts were split to a new topic: New Router Suggestion