What ram speed to go for x99 itx game server build

I am going to build myself a small satisfactory game server and have motherboard and cpu figured out and hardrive setup.

Now im looking for what Ram to choose.

Setup
Operating system: unraid
Motherboard: Asrock X99E-ITX/ac
Cpu: 2011-3 5930k
Ram: 2x32gb=64gb

How important is it to have high ram speeds on a server build ?

The qvl list only show sizes max 32 gb kits and ranges of 2133mhz up to 3333mhz dependent on the brand and mostly 4 or 8 gb sticks options.

But on the spec list it says it supports up to 64gb with an 5930k.

Any advise would be appresiated!

Hey I used this board as a daily driver for about two years with a variety of i7 and Xeon processors. Your hardest and most defining limit to DRAM speed is Haswell’s IMC, full stop. The vast majority of Haswell-E CPUs will completely fail to exceed 3000 MT/s even utilizing modern DIMMs that are designed to handle much higher clocks. The second hard limit is the motherboard, it does not have the signalling integrity to push higher than 3200 MT/s without substantial manual tweaking and very loose timings despite being limited to dual-channel.

Effectively your limit at 100:133 divider (the standard setting) is going to be 2666 MT/s. With 100:100 you may achieve 2800 MT/s, and with the 125 BCLK strap you can probably still achieve 3000 MT/s without spending a ton of time in UEFI tweaking timings and voltages.

As far as running 64GB on that board, I’ve only seen people use ECC/LRDIMMs and at 2133 MT/s. So you would be the first that I’m aware of who would try running anything higher. As such I don’t have much advice on what kind of DRAM clocks would work with such large DIMMs, especially if you’re going to run unbuffered non-ECC rather than ECC/LRDIMMs. Maybe 2666 MT/s will still work.

TL:DR:

Yes there is benefits to having faster DRAM on this board because it’s limited to dual-channel, but there are many obstacles in the way and I haven’t seen anyone test high density non-ECC DDR4 above 2133 MT/s. Generally easy to run 2666 MT/s but that applies to 4/8GB and some 16GB DIMMs.

Okey, i thinking of buying a set of kingston fury.

Kingston 2x32gb 3200 kit 64gb kit KF432C16BBK2/64

i can get them brand new for about 170usd.

in my head they should work but time will tell haha
maybe i can choose a lower xmp profile on them if 3200 wont work =) [quote=“Fouquin, post:3, topic:194030, full:true”]

Hey I used this board as a daily driver for about two years with a variety of i7 and Xeon processors. Your hardest and most defining limit to DRAM speed is Haswell’s IMC, full stop. The vast majority of Haswell-E CPUs will completely fail to exceed 3000 MT/s even utilizing modern DIMMs that are designed to handle much higher clocks. The second hard limit is the motherboard, it does not have the signalling integrity to push higher than 3200 MT/s without substantial manual tweaking and very loose timings despite being limited to dual-channel.

Effectively your limit at 100:133 divider (the standard setting) is going to be 2666 MT/s. With 100:100 you may achieve 2800 MT/s, and with the 125 BCLK strap you can probably still achieve 3000 MT/s without spending a ton of time in UEFI tweaking timings and voltages.

As far as running 64GB on that board, I’ve only seen people use ECC/LRDIMMs and at 2133 MT/s. So you would be the first that I’m aware of who would try running anything higher. As such I don’t have much advice on what kind of DRAM clocks would work with such large DIMMs, especially if you’re going to run unbuffered non-ECC rather than ECC/LRDIMMs. Maybe 2666 MT/s will still work.

TL:DR:

Yes there is benefits to having faster DRAM on this board because it’s limited to dual-channel, but there are many obstacles in the way and I haven’t seen anyone test high density non-ECC DDR4 above 2133 MT/s. Generally easy to run 2666 MT/s but that applies to 4/8GB and some 16GB DIMMs.
[/quote]

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.