What motherboard for Ryzen 5900x workstation/homeserver

I’ve been running an Aorus X570 pro (non wifi) for a year with no issues using:

• 4 x 16gb RAM
  • 2 x nvme
  • 2 x GPU
  • Intel I350 (sriov nic - gives you 28 interfaces)

Lots of people choose this board for pci passthrough (me included)

For 24/7 operation an x570 may be a better choice for longevity than a B550 due to more pcb layers (although this may not matter so much if you are not overclocking). I expect the board to be good for 5 years (I also do not overclock & just enable pbo)

My system runs a Windows 10 gaming vm with VR (stable for days at a time) while simultaneously running a Linux desktop + bunch of LXD containers for development.

It’s alive!

I went with the Gigabyte Aorus Master B550 because it has 3 nvme to CPU and has passive chipset cooling.

I updated BIOS before putting CPU/RAM/GPU with Q Flash Plus… the only issue here is that the file on USB must be renamed to gigabyte.bin, this is missing in mobo manual and doesn’t work without this rename (downloaded file from support page has different name).

I like Fractal cases so I went with Fractal Design Define C and Corsair RM550x. It fits just fine with my MSI 1070 GPU. Cables are quite tight, wouldn’t mind more space, but removing the HDD cage helped.

Some pictures:

nvme heatsinks were rather hot (don’t have exact temperatures, tested by my finger only:) so I decided to add one more intake fan (14cm ULN Noctua) to the front side of the case… the aiflow now covers the whole motherboard nicely and heatsinks are noticeably cooler (says my finger)

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.