What Laptop Should I get? Thinkpads?

Copied from my post here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2997494/lenovo-e460-lenovo-t420.html
Just wanted to get your guys opinon since you guys seem to have better answers on average than toms and have an awesome community, plus the LINUX!!!

I am looking for a new laptop and I think I have narrowed it down to these two options:

Lenovo Thinkpad E460 with i3-61000U, 1920x1080 IPS, 8GB Ram, 500GB HDD (Only since I could cheaply replace it with a 850 evo) - Normally $512, but I can get it for $400 through work deals and a total of $500 with an aftermarket ssd.
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/e-series/...

Lenovo Thinkpad T420 with i5 2520M, 1600x900 (Have to watch out for the lower res 768p screens, they are everywhere), 8GB Ram (May have to add myself, no big deal), 250gb SSD (Added by me) with whatever storage comes with the used model I buy (Just to keep windows on it) - $300 with everything included with awesome part support (One big reason I like this laptop, cheap replacement keyboards and screens, and the ultra bay support for stuff like extra battery and storage - smallest laptop I have seen that can fit three drives)

But, just in case there are more suggestions you guys have, I filled out the questions on the sticky:
Copied from my post here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2997494/lenovo-e460-lenovo-t420.html

I am looking for a new laptop and I think I have narrowed it down to these two options:

Lenovo Thinkpad E460 with i3-61000U, 1920x1080 IPS, 8GB Ram, 500GB HDD (Only since I could cheaply replace it with a 850 evo) - Normally $512, but I can get it for $400 through work deals and a total of $500 with an aftermarket ssd.
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/e-series/...

Lenovo Thinkpad T420 with i5 2520M, 1600x900 (Have to watch out for the lower res 768p screens, they are everywhere), 8GB Ram (May have to add myself, no big deal), 250gb SSD (Added by me) with whatever storage comes with the used model I buy (Just to keep windows on it) - $300 with everything included with awesome part support (One big reason I like this laptop, cheap replacement keyboards and screens, and the ultra bay support for stuff like extra battery and storage - smallest laptop I have seen that can fit three drives)

But, just in case there are more suggestions you guys have, I filled out the questions on the sticky:

1. What is your budget?
    Under $600

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
    13-14 inches, around an inch in thickness (Thinner is better)

3. What screen resolution do you want?
    At least 1600x900, IPS would be nice if possible

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
    Somewhat portable, but my backpack is pretty big so it is not a huge concern. A 17.3" laptop will not fit, a 15.6" barely fit, and a 14" fits nicely. The thickness must be under 1.5" to fit, but it does not need to be super thin.

5. How much battery life do you need?
    Around 4-5 hours of desktop real world use, it may be lower if I can just carry other, easily replaceable batteries.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
    Yes, but just old games like Masters of Orion, not a huge demand, integrated graphics should be fine. If possible, I would like to be able to play games like Fallout New Vegas on lower settings, but this takes lower priority to more productive tasks.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
    I can definitely foresee using gimp (Paint.net that also works on linux), but this program is not too demanding. If it does not cost too much extra, video editing on light works would be a nice touch.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
    Around 250gb, but fast storage is more important, also I would like to have a replaceable drive. Any laptops that support two drives would be awesome (Ex: A msata ssd and a 2.5" hdd). If it is a hdd, 7200rpm would be really awesome.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
    Do not really care, at least somewhat reputable.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
    Around 4-5 years, durability is important.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
    Do not really need one, but if it is replacable with a 2.5" drive adapter or an extended battery (Like the T420) would be nice.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
    I have never owned a Lenovo thinkpad, but I have had extensive use with them and their keyboards and build quality always impress them.

13. What country do you live in?
    The USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
    Keyboard is number one priority, I am a keyboard freak and any laptop with a bad keyboard is a no go, this laptop will be mostly for typing documents and writing in java. I can get used to somewhat different layouts and back lighting does not matter at all, but I like a good travel distance and very little to no flexing in the laptop (Under normal circumstances).

I will most certainly be using linux on whatever laptop I get, once again two drives would be nice so I can keep the windows install and add another drive to put linux on.

I am not afraid of replacing drives or memory on a laptop to save even just a few bucks (It is fun!), as long as it is not terribly difficult.

I am always a fan of a computer that is relatively easy to fix and maintain, such as a easily removable and cheap keyboard replacements (T420), socketted cpus and ram.

Thanks for any help and suggestions. I may be a little slow to reply during the day due to commitments. If you know anything about the comparison between the E series and T series regarding the overall build quality, keyboard quality, expand ability, please add. I have read through much of the thinkpad wiki recently, but there is still much to learn.

I have a thinkpad T420 and I love it. (Typing on it right now) If you do get a thinkpad I would recommend getting one with the classic style keyboard. The classic non-chicklet style keyboard on the older thinkpads is MAGIC.

1 Like

if you plan to run linux watch out for broadcom wifi on lenovo laptops.

1 Like

I know that the T500, T410, and T410s were almost exclusively Intel based WiFi, but Broadcom has been an option since. Legitimate concern for newer laptops.

The Intel WiFi cards are only $15 a piece on eBay however, so if @Tomahok ends up with a Broadcom equipped machine the WiFi card can be swapped for cheap.

but lenovo has a habit of whitelisting wifi cards on the bios.

Intel WiFi Link AGN cards are whitelisted along with the Broadcom equivalent. Lenovo puts up all optional specs of their laptops online to view, it includes the hardware whitelist which can help determine the exact card needed.

Source: Had to purchase 35 Intel WiFi Link 5150 AGN cards to install into a stack of T410 and R500's. Half had Broadcom WNICs in them already.

(Also disable Intel AMT in the BIOS. It can sometimes screw with hardware swaps such as the NIC or CPU.)

1 Like

i run linux on the x1 carbon. considering the fact that its a pretty new model there hasnt been too many problems. i havent had problems with the wifi with this model just other small new implementation with the '14 model

I can tell you first hand that the Intel HD3000 graphics in the T420 is NOT going to provide a good experience with Master Of Orion (if you are talking about the new one that just came out). About the only thing the HD3000 integrated graphics are good for, are games like Diablo 2, Master of Orion 2, old ROM/Emulators from the NES/SNES era, and games of that nature. I know this because I have a w520, which has the same integrated graphics. Now my laptop also has a Nvidia Quadro K2000m, and honestly, that is BARELY acceptable when doing games like Diablo III, Starcraft II, and the latest Master of Orion when playing at 1080p. The thing is though, to get the FPS to a playable 30-40+, I had to turn the settings down to the lowest possible.

Basically what I am saying is that the older Thinkpads are NOT going to work for any sort of modern gaming in your situation. Modern integrated graphics can do a passable job, but I would not get one if you planned on any sort of modern games. With that said though, I absolutely adore my w520, and wouldn't trade it for anything, outside of maybe the new t420p. Even then, I would be giving up the keyboard which I so love for something that would be a more manageable size for transportation with better battery life, and I am just not sure that is a tradeoff I would be willing to make.

• on WolfStrong. Thinkpad's are not marketed or inteded to be gaming laptops. they are more business intended. some carry video cards but like mine it doesnt even have one. and i wouldnt even try on my cpu graphics. they are for spreadsheets, coding, and some for auto cad. if you are looking at gaming you can get a y410.510p or y40.y50/y70 for gaming intended. 40's are the lower end, and well built

I'm typing on the T420 right now and it's a great laptop! Although, I don't understand how this keyboard is so magical compared to the chicklet style. I think the thinklight is pretty magical though.

When I said masters of orion, I was not even thinking of the new game, I was thinking of MOO 1 and 2 (Will edit original post to fix any confusion). Any games I will play on a laptop were able to be played on a A6-4400M with integrated graphics at 1600x900. The most demanding games I have ever played on a laptop are TF2 and Fallout New Vegas.

Just to get it straight, should I be overly concerned about having a broadcom wifi card on lenovo laptops? If I understand what Fouquin is saying, it is a cheap fix and the intel aftermarket card should not be whitlisted by lenovo (As long as it is the Intel option originally offered on the t420)?

That is great to hear, right now that is one of the main reasons I am leaning towards the old T420 over the new E460.

Oh, i know that all too well. I just thought i would make it clear since i see people make that mistake all the time.

Hey fellow MoO2 fan! Been playing that game since the day it came out, and still can't put it down, even after buying the new one! Seriously, that came is like crack

touch pad's on the X1 carbon are f'ing amazing! way better than the macs. i was surprised how shitty they were when i tried my friends mac.

It should work on the t420 from my understanding. I could be mistaken, but i believe that the t420 did not have a white list for the m.2 slots, while the next generation, the t430, was the first to start that trend

I got into gaming later and am a little younger so I never really played old great games like MOO when they came out, but my dad showed me them and I have been going back and playing all kinds of great old games.

You have to love the tek syndicate forum, it is a ton smaller than a lot of the other forums, but I always get more responses of higher quality.

@wendell @kreestuh @moderators in general. I’m seeing how these threads are getting necro’d now I have them popping up from my feed. How? No clue. Possibly from someone liking the thread?

Either way, this is the 6th thread today.

@wolfleben