What is this edge doing here?

I’ve seen it on many cases, and it has always been in the way of attaching hdmi or dp cable for me,

what would be the best way to remove that frustrating edge

or to get back on topic, does it actually have a purpose?

I see many edges in this photo, do you mean the edge above the HDMI port that is the cut out of the expansion card slot?

That’s not a case problem, it’s a card problem.

HDMI/DP should be better placed.

As far as I can tell, that has more to do with motherboard standards than cases (or cheap manufacturing actually idk). I find it frustrating as well. I’d avoid trying to actually remove it- you’re better off sticking the card in the slot, then sliding it over before you screw it down to give yourself some room. Depending on your particular rig (if you have the PCIe lanes to spare, and so on), you could move it to another slot.

2 Likes

Is there a toggle switch on the back of that card?

1 Like

is it possible to move the computer out a bit to get a better picture

we cant even see the connector completely

I believe OP is talking about this edge

2 Likes

sorry for the bad picture, it is the small edge right next to the display port and hdmi

yes, for switching between 780ti and K6000

1 Like

Very interesting.

As for your edge case problem, I don’t know what to say really, I have had cards with ports in the same position and the connectors worked fine.

I haven’t had anything like that on my cases, I would jump on the cheap manufacturing theory. Especially since it is only on the first slot.

To get it removed I would try to grab some tools and bend it forwards and backwards until it breaks due to metal fatigue. (Disclaimer, I have never tried this on a case.) You probably want to bend the entire thing at once to ensure it breaks at the right places. If anything else starts bending it is probably a bad idea to continue. Use a metal file afterwards to remove sharp edges. Be also aware that the ledge could be used for structural support, removing it could make the case more flimsy.
So if possible, move the card to another slot instead of trying to mess with your case.

It might also be possible just to bend the whole thing upwards to try to make it flat with the case. It would make it slightly thicker compared to removing it, but it might be enough so that the connectors can go in.

1 Like

Pretty much what @Spiller said, that small edge could be the result of cheap manufacturing or to make the PCI expansion slots more rigid, or both. Removing it might affect the structural rigidness of the case, but since by the looks of it the case frame is made out of steel, I wouldn’t personally worry too much about it.

To remove it, try using some small cutting tool like Dremel, if you have one. And like @Spiller said, use metal file to smooth out the edge so you won’t cut your fingers.

This might also work.

Oh ok nevermind, I was thinking you meant the large protrusion next to slot 0, not the small edge there. Yeah you can loosen the screw and pull the card just a bit. I have that issue on one case and the connection is solid, it’s only a few mm over.

Structural integrity mostly. Punching the metal that way is actually more expensive as the die (as the tool is called) has to have those “features” machined into them.

Looking at the images, that looks like 1.5 to 2.5mm steel, so VERY sturdy construction. Should be no problem removing them (saw, dremel, file, etc.)

Looking at the pictures, I think that is one of those old beige tank cases.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

1 Like

That looks very CoolerMaster. Reminds me of a notebook cooler I have.

Depending on the overall feel of the case (is it from the “sturdy steel box”-era?), removing those two bits that interfer with the GPU is safe to do.
Just that it is a lot more work than takeing out the GPU and sawing away. Metal dust + PC-Parts = dead PC
So you have to take the whole thing apart, remove those metal bridges and give the case a good clean (compressed air, vacuum, etc.).

1 Like