What is the total max amount of displays a 4090 can support @4k?

You would think this was a streightfoward thing but it really kinda isnt. When I was looikn on websites it list the maximum digital resolution as 7680x4320

Edited

It can definitely support four.

If you add some kind of displayport multi-stream adapters you might be able to connect more - each displayport connection can support two 4k displays in isolation with these, but it isn’t clear if these will still work with a fully populated card.

So perhaps seven, but without confirmation :man_shrugging:

1 Like

So i can tell you with confidence that the card will not allow you to connect more than 4 monitors due to nvidia driver limitations. The question I have is , what can the resolutions on those 4 monitors be?

For example, 4 Standard 1080p monitors would be fine. 4 1080p monitors at 120htz would likely be fine as well…but 4 1080p monitors at 240htz…maybe not.

4k @ 240 hrtz as far as the gpu’s abliity to push pixels is a lot more similar to 8k then it is 4 1080p monitors and this card can only support 1 8k monitor to my knowledge.

So figuring out exactly what the details are without doing testing is kind of difficult.

From the 4090 spec page (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Graphics Cards)

4 - Multi Monitor:

• 4 independent displays at 4K 120Hz using DP or HDMI
  • 2 independent displays at 4K 240Hz or 8K 60Hz with DSC using DP or HDMI
  • Other display configurations may be possible based on available bandwidth
5 Likes

Thank you…The moment i see the nvidia spec page and its flashy UI my mind turns off.

1 Like

It’s not a driver/software limitation; it’s hardware.

The main thing is the limit of display controllers/clock generators on the GPU core.

The general rule was that NVIDIA had 4, Intel had 3 for earlier IGPs around 10th gen and lower at least for GT2; they have 4 right now I believe, and AMD had 6, at least for until Navi 10; I think that’s down to 4 now, but someone correct me if I’m wrong. Apple Silicon has 2 for base M1/M2/M3.

The main thing is the GPU core can’t drive more displays than it has controllers. The exception is Displaylink but that doesn’t count.

If you had a core could run 6, but only had 4 display connections, you could use a 3 port MST hub to get 6; provided that you stay within the limits of one DP connection for those 3 displays. Same thing goes with laptops assuming the display out ports were wired into the correct GPU cores.

4 Displays per gpu makes sense for Nvidia and has been that way a long time.I always thought it was hardware but didn’t know 100% for sure. The nvs 810 has a dual gpu design and can do 8 monitors so that all tracks.

How can I achieve this… I have a RTX 4090 with an i9 14900KF and 64 GB of RAM… I am only able to get 3 monitors to work at the same time…

1. Samsung QCQ90S 55" 60Hz
  2. 27" ASUS Predator XB273U 60Hz
  3. 27" ASUS XF273 S 144Hz
  4. 27" ASUS XF273 S 144Hz - But this one will not display anything.

Any ideas would be better than the last 7 systems that Dell has tried to send me as a replacement. I know this works, as I had all 4 monitors working for some time, before Dells techs got their hands on my system…

THANK YOU!

Don’t use MST if you don’t have to. Directly connect all displays to the video card.

By the way, those displays are Acer, not Asus.

My 970 supports my super old 120hz 3d ready acer. : ( lol