What is the max. gpu to pair with a Core 2 Q6600?

I just watched this video

and since it wasn’t long ago that Wendell was kind enough to ship my son the cpu I mentioned I don’t want to upgrade to an E5450 or Q9650 and so I ask is the video card upgrade that is the best still the Radeon RX 570? What are other options? What is the Nvidia equivalent or better card? Don’t want bottlenecking of the video card of course.

Btw pc just to be used for gaming / streaming.

Found this older video saying to get a GTX 1050 Ti …

Does this look to be a real GTX 1050 Ti?

1050ti is absolute max I would go.

Looks like scam, even says DDR5.

These cards have GDDR5 on them. I guess it is up the the consumers to report that the ad may be misleading even if the card is legit. I contacted the seller letting him know this.

Also noticed in the ratings someone reported the card as a scam.

The thing is though I watch these two different guys on YouTube and they get stuff from Ebay and Aliexpress (not sure if I did spell that right) on the cheap and it is legit. Yes they have run into scams but they are protected by these companies. Also about buying local I looked up the cheapest for a GTX 1050 Ti in my area and it was $150 : S and while not expensive if I can get a better buy I want one.

Honestly, I wouldn’t go higher than a GTX 750ti. Q6600 is going to be a pretty big bottleneck.

Now if eventually I max. the cpu for this pc to the Q9650 or through a mod or whatever use a better cpu what would be the max. card for this system? Is it the RX 570 mentioned in the first video?

What is the monitor resolution?

1920x1080p

Just buy a card adapted to that resolution/60 fps (I presume it’s a 60 hz monitor) like the RX 570/GTX 1060.

Yes the monitor is 60 Hz.

At 60 fps you shouldn’t have a bottleneck with the Q series CPUs.
With older/less demanding games you can use a frame limiter like the one with RivaTuner (MSI Afterburner), in case you’re on Windows.

I am on Windows. Always on Windows. Unless I somehow end up on DOS again. LOL!

TechDeals has done a few videos on the q6600. He paired it with a GT 1030. It seems to me he has done other videos then the ones I will source here also.

Single thread on an fx 8350 is roughly 41.46% faster than a q9650… (based upon some online benchmarks) and given how poorly threaded most things are, single thread is still the most important thing when it comes to pushing gpu utilisation.

I would say even the 1050 ti is pushing it but not by much.

1 Like

Yeah well the 1050ti will probably being bottleneck’d significantly with a Q6600.
Unless he would be able to crank up all the settings that much.
My FX8350 even bottlenecks a 7870Ghz in games like vanilla Skyrim.

1 Like

He specifically asked if upgrading to a q9650 would help alleviate any of that bottlenecking…

short answer is no.

Nope indeed. :slight_smile:

AMD have a frame rate limited in driver , that they call FrameRate Target Control.

Actually it’s pushing it massively…

1 thread Nvidia optimized game? Your CPU and graphics card are bottlenecking each other…

GPU wise it comes down to budget and future plans. Any recent video card will play fine. The RX570 is at a great price for a new part at the moment and will be fine for many years in a low budget gaming rig if you plan on a CPU / MB upgrade in the future.

I saw streaming. I dont stream so I’m maybe not to best on this. I believe the Nvidia cards may be able to do more encoding work on the GPU than AMD card. Anyone feel free to correct me.

A Q6600 will be struggling to stream if it has to do too much work.

The 1050 would be a big stretch, but depends on the games you’re playing. Even with a 6870 I’ve had massive bottlenecks when playing Guild Wars 2 for example. But, in other games, it wasn’t so much a problem. I think you must overclock it at least 1GHz to get decent performance from a 1050. If you can’t or your CPU is not a good bin a 1030 would be as far as I’d go.

Or you could buy a used GPU in the same ballpark of performance like a 7970/R9 280/R9 285 which is a better option in my opinion since you’re pairing with a really old CPU that suffers massively because of the architecture (2 glued Core 2 Duos) and clockspeed.

A 9650 would alliviate for sure the bottleneck but still the 1050 is as far as I’d go even with that CPU. Or used as said before.

1 Like