What is the biggest problem for linux adoption?

Literally just app support. I think most people would happily live with GNOME, coming from Windows.

1 Like

Short and to the point, nice.

My mom’s laptop was one of those Win7 to Win10 free updates that just didn’t work- so I installed Gnome Ubuntu, already had Firefox and OpenOffice- easy day. If the GUI was too much of a leap, there were alternatives. But that is a special case of really light use and she has only two requirements, web browsing and word processing- nothing else.

I would use 100% Linux at home if I didn’t have odd requirements- a little outdated vsphere client here, some WindowsXP to support tuning a Greddy EMU there, a little casual gaming here etc. For home desktop replacement, IMO its a “it just works” and also a “it is compatible” thing. My mom had zero use case for a Windows app that does not work on Linux. But many people do. Wine isn’t enough.

Android wouldn’t have the adoption it has if it didn’t have a healthy selection of apps, and IMO just as importantly, its the same app (at least mostly) as found on the Iphone. How many Android users would kick chalks and go Iphone if Android suddenly lost the apps they hold near and dear? We expect more from Windows users?

I donno, I’m going on a tangent so I need to digress… plus maybe Windows (and the desktop) is going the way of the dinosaur, there is just less and less software that is Windows only, less and less software that is native vs hosted somewhere else, and less reason to have large desktops as well.

2 Likes

I think browser-centric distros, like Chromium OS, will fill that niche quite well. If you consider that the vast majority of people don’t need the software support, beyond browser apps, I don’t think there’s any reason why Linux-based operating systems can’t become the norm.

Regarding app support, most distros position themselves as Windows/Mac alternatives, and without investment from companies like Adobe, Autodesk, Dassault Systèmes, Microsoft, etc… I don’t think we’ll see a major shift. Too many people, myself included, aren’t impressed with the selection of open source or GPL alternatives.

For my use case, Blender is fine for surface modelling (problem comes with having to re-learn the same things in different software, even with @Phantom making it look so easy), but GIMP is no replacement for Photoshop (especially when you consider the integration with other Adobe products [Same reason Inkscape can’t replace Illustrator]). I don’t think there are any decent alternatives for AutoCAD or SolidWorks/Inventor.

It’s less that users aren’t willing to change OS, and more that these packages are unofficial industry standards, to the point where you’d be putting your business at a disadvantage, and wasting your’s and others’ time, by not using them.

2 Likes

thats the thing I can see things from both sides of the fence in a way
most experienced linux gurus will tell you its better to learn it the hard way!
and to a certain extent i agree.
learning and exploring cli and the power it gives a user teaches you more about the computer and linux than you thought possible.
But because there are a lot of people who can barely turn a pc on that have to learn how to do complex programs because their jobs require it they want to be able to hit the ground running.
most often because they have to learn it fast and dont have a lot of time to mess with cli.
learning a distro to use has to be easy enough to run but interesting enough to warrant wanting to learn or else it pushes them away by being too confusing.

sad to say many long time linux users tend to forget that.
things are not the same as when they started learning linux.
and its one reason we see so many posts such as which one is best?, which do i choose?, and why is linux so hard?

i started linux back in 1998

3 Likes

I did a very similar thing, Ubuntu Gnome on a touchscreen laptop for her birthday. I stopped getting tech support calls from her, for the most part; because everything just works. Her only complaint has been that the Gnome file-picker sucks.

1 Like

You guys are right.

People don’t use an operating system, they use applications.

The applications use the OS.

People will go with what runs their software.

Simple as that.

4 Likes

AD does a lot more than file/print.

Linux was made and designed to do work and be a tool.

The unwashed mass’s need a stupid proof OS and super easy toolset. No one is wasting time making that for free.

When Microsoft switches to linux. They will spend to time and money on the stupid proofing. It will be well into the 2020’s but.

1 Like

And samba does a lot more than file/print

1 Like

Blender is available for Windows, and you can run Blender from the command line in Windows. How is Adobe not offering CLI support the fault of Microsoft? If Adobe did release it’s products for Linux they would still be proprietary and unlikely to offer much in the way of command line support.

I’m not saying this because I think Windows is better than Linux, but it sounds like Blender is a more powerful tool than its adobe equivalent in some areas. Kudos to the Blender dev team.

1 Like

Is it wrong that I’m kinda ok with Linux not being adapted widely on the desktop? Getting too big and too unified could lead Linux to becoming more like Windows in all the wrong ways.

Think about it critically for a second and you’ll realize that many of gripes about Windows can be directly linked to the fact that it is so widely used.

3 Likes

Appreciate the attempt, but I’ve used this argument many times and the incessant screeching about spyware and “Windoze” just increases in volume. :wink: :joy:

“Linux doesn’t get viruses!”

Right… Put two Linux boxes in every home and let’s see how fast that changes.

If you’re going to rob a bank, do you go to the one with 6,000 clients, or 600,000,000 clients?

No, it’s not wrong. A few have argued that mass adaptation and a unified distro/DE will stint innovation. I can see that, for sure. I’m okay with Linux being a service handler/niche sysadmin/niche developer tool.

3 Likes

I think there’s a happy medium between true wide adoption and where we’re at now. A few percent of desktops would be a great share. It’s enough users to make Adobe rethink porting again, but not so many that we suddenly have to deal with people who are mad that they double clicked on “definitelyavirus.exe” and nothing swooped in to save them or their files.

1 Like

At this point, i don’t think Ubtuntu is harder to use than windows.

I think its lack of compatibility with the programs people are familiar with (especially with decently computer literate people that game), unfamiliarity with the OS (they’re used to windows or macos and there is a barrier to a new OS), It isn’t the default OS on the computer they buy.

And really i think its like 30% lack of compatibility with programs people are familiar with, 60% it isn’t the default OS on the computer they buy and 10% they aren’t familiar with the OS. Because ubuntu is close enough to windows, where i think most people wouldn’t be too inconvenienced using it.

3 Likes

With regards to the OP’s original question on why it’s not more adapted. I think you hit the nail on the head.

After having now tried this on the chromebook my sister uses (asus c302) it’s not available on all chromebooks. On this one it isn’t. Feature updates on chromebooks kinda get rolled out on a per device basis and it’s running chromeos 71.something and 69 is the one that supposedly introduced the container feature. Sure enough I could probably enable developer settings and it may or may not be available then in a “beta” state. But since she essentially uses it as a pdf reader, google machine and for google docs in university. I don’t even really know what having Linux support would be providing that she can’t do already.

Here are 27 chromebooks listed that supported the feature when it came out. Don’t know how many they are now exactly. Just that this specific model I have access to does not.

1 Like

Older generations won’t see some of the features because they went built with it in mind. But chrome books can run chromeOS, Android, and Linux apps in containers etc. They run fine.

1 Like

Ye it can do Android already (for a long time now). And Linux may or may not be comming eventually to this one too. But no set date or even concrate information on that. Just no information that it won’t be happening either (witch does exist for other models, hence this one may get it at some point).

Thats is about as close as linux gets to being mass adopted. A containers in a controlled OS.

As least for now. Windows and OS X need to devolve more.

There is even a sign that apple will ditch x86 and go to there own CPU on laptops. Then move up the stack. If they even care about desktops at all.

mostly i think is that the adoption is so slow because people are completely illiterate when it comes to CLI and linux.

that is mostly because Windows has been the OS of the masses for the last 30 years.

Try to google any random software and add ‘linux’ to it and compare that to any search for the same software for windows.

a) is windows the default os
b) you can download any random packaged .exe file from somewhere (incl. “toolsearch bars” and all)
c) if that piece of code didn’t do it, there are a million other .exes to install

And people dont know how to operate linux and dont want to. They want “it” to “work” so they can to their non-tech stuff. Most people dont care about kernel versions, open source graphic drivers or filesystem changes on network storage home servers.

they wanna google shit, watch video on demand and do social media, write emails and some “documents” and thats it.

so, in a way, there is no way of turning that around and if people even had that knowledge, they wouldn’t turn because they are simple not interested in it, at all.

And nothing wrong with people doing what they like to do.

The real problem is located somewhere in the consequences of that long-term, but thats a different question entirely.