What is my best option for adding a second GPU?

Hi all, first post on L1 so apologies if it’s in the wrong subforum.

I have a mATX PC with a single 5060Ti, and I’d like to add a second one. My intended use is for local LLM inference with a single model split over two GPUs. I’ve been exploring as many options as I can but keep running into roadblocks.

Here are my limitations:

  • Another GPU won’t fit in the case, nor into the second 16x slot of the motherboard.
  • My mobo, Asus TUF-GAMING B550M Plus, only has a single PCI-E 4.0 16x slot, which doesn’t support 8x/8x bifurcation in the BIOS*. The second 16x slot is 3.0, on chipset lanes, and I’ve ruled that out for bandwidth/latency reasons with LLM model splitting.
  • The mobo has a PCI-E 4.0 4x M.2 NVME slot on CPU lanes, but apparently the 5060ti doesn’t work well with m2 to pci-e extenders like ADT-Link’s K43SG because of … retiming issues? Given that the 5060ti is actually an 8x card with a 16x connector. [1] [2]
  • Have a 550W Corsair PSU and Ryzen 5600X CPU at stock clocks/voltage. Happy to power-limit the GPU/s to 150W if that makes ‘em fit within the PSU’s operating capacity, or add a second PSU (eg Dell DA2).
  • Trying to do this in a budget friendly way!

I’d love some advice on what my best options are. Buy a new mobo and case? Try to do something with Oculink instead? Consider a different GPU? Any other routes I haven’t considered?

Thanks everyone.

* The Asus manual says the PCI16X_1 slot “Support PCIe bifurcation for RAID on CPU function.” implying that you can run 4 m2 SSDs into the main 16x slot with a 4x/4x/4x/4x splitter card. I can’t tell if that would work with an M2 to PCI-E splitter of some kind.

Your best bet, honestly, is to either upgrade your 5060 Ti to something with more VRAM, like the RX 9070…

Or find a high grade mATX motherboard combined with a 1 slot pro card. But yeah, given that good AM4 mobos are pretty much extinct now… If you can find a B550 Strix E ATX model it could.work.

I know that is not the advice you want to hear. But given that you are cornered, it is the best I can give.

Thanks for the response. The Strix E looks like a good option, because it has 2 x8 slots on the CPU. A new case and new motherboard would be about £200 used, it looks like.

You’ll need a motherboard with proper lane splitting support (x8 /x8 from the CPU). Otherwise the second GPU will run off the x4 chipset link and tensor parallel wouldn’t work or will be slow.

As for the GPU, you can consider another 5060ti.

Better odds, would be involving a full-size ATX board, to get proper X8/X8 [IF adamant for (2) GPUs]
And since the newer __60s/60Ties, are all x8 connectivity– it could compliment, your current one
Which could mean doing over your pkg [should the setup, be explicitly mATX only limit]

Otherwise- you’re better off, working off a beefier GPU [+ that x4 lingering slot, could be used, for something else]

I’m not married to mATX! In fact I would be happy to go larger, to get more airflow and quieter operation. So I have set up an ebay alert for the Strix B550E and also a Strix X570E. Then I’ll probably look at a Fractal Define 7 or similar.

I measured my total system power draw at 250W peak during inference, with one 5060Ti at 180W. So if I dropped that to 150W it would be 220W, plus another 150W for a second 5060Ti, total of 370W. Does that sound OK for a Corsair RM550X PSU?

Dang, that’s an annoying thing from Asus. Maybe you could try your luck and ask for a firmware with x8/x8 bifurcation support, they were cases where they have supplied those for other motherboards. You’d still need a splitter anyway, which would incur costs and a janky way to have things set in your case.

I would not rule that out. For pipeline parallelism with something like a 5060ti it should not be a problem at all and the bandwidth would be more than enough. For tensor/graph parallelism is where you might see the bandwidth being a limiting factor, but I don’t think it’d be much of an issue with a 5060ti.

Another good mobo option that I can personally vouch for is the B550 ProArt. It did great for my 2x3090, 5950x and 128GB of RAM until I upgraded to AM5.
There’s also that AM4 spreadsheet, it’s a bit outdated but still useful:

Some of the X570 and B550 options that support x8/x8 on the two slots are:

  • Asrock X570 Aqua
  • Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
  • MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • MSI Prestige X570 Creation
  • Asrock X570 Creator
  • Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming X
  • Asrock X570 Taichi
  • Asus Prime X570-Pro
  • Asus Pro WS X570-Ace
  • Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
  • Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
  • Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
  • Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
  • Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming
  • Biostar Racing X570GT8 Ver.5.x
  • Colorful CVN X570 Gaming Pro V14
  • Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
  • Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro (WiFi )
  • Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra
  • MSI MEG X570 Ace
  • MSI MEG X570 Unify
  • Asrock B550 Taichi
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-E Gaming
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-XE Gaming (Wi-Fi)
  • Gigabyte B550 Vision D

Thanks, this is really useful. I like the look of the ProArt a lot. Thunderbolt 4 is a welcome surprise …