What is mini pcie's speed?

Just wondering since i want to buy a mini pcie to pcie adapter so i can run an external gpu on my msi gaming notebook, 680m is starting to show its age. The reason im asking this is because im wondering if my graphics card will be bottlenecked by the speeds, the graphics card in question will probably be an r9 390x or something in the r9 300 series. ill see what i get when the cards are released and see what sort of pricing scheme theyll have. oh and dont tell my cpu will bottleneck me since i have an i7, not a dual core i7 but a quad core.

1 Like

Wouldn't work. Mini PCI-e equates to PCI-e x1. To my knowledge, AMD cards require 4 lanes minimum and Nvidia cards require 8 lanes. It also can't provide the 75w that a desktop PCI-e slot can provide.

There's this thing http://www.aliexpress.com/item/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-External-PCI-E-graphics-card-Mini-PCI-E-Set-ATX/1480922028.html but it requires supplemental power.

that is exactly what i want to do, but it uses a mini pcie slot. im wondering will using that, what you linked and i what i was talking about, bottleneck my gpu since it uses a mini pcie slot.

wait never mind, its express card to pcie and i only have mini pcie.

i saw it working here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP_8EYQ-2RA

No you will be bottle necked , my R9 290 was bottle necked to hell , the highest I would go would be something like a R9 280x / 970 etc , but that WAS with a first generation i3 330m ...

Your call , I would personally get a psu + gpu for cheap ( eg bequiet 400w + R9 290 or other ) and use that .

But the problem is speeds , you say PCIe 1x , but 1x 3.0 ?

I used the pci for tv tuner on my laptop .

how much was it bottlenecked, like percentage wise.

Can't recall exactly , but arma was really bad ( 23 fps before , 31 after ) in terms of BF4 , 80 fps on desktop , ~47 on laptop ( external 1080p screen ) .

but it seemed to be better with the gtx 670 , 60 on desktop , 42 on laptop , it seems I'm CPU bound , and maybe ram bound too .

But it might be the PCI speed , can't know without a better laptop .

But it will surely be better than a GTX 680m

my laptop has the option of sli, i chose the single gpu model, what connection do laptop gpus use. is there an adapter to use with that connection.

hehe i know that im so late but the highest exp gdc recommends is gtx 980 4sli and for amd, is r9 295x2 :wink:

6 year necro