What headset should I get?

it seems like I have been convinced to get open back headphones because they are better for gaming. I was suggested Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Headphones and a soundblaster G6 because of my use case.

the next step up would be getting into analytical music listening and would cost about $700-800 for DT1990s w/ schiit heresy and modi. which is more than what I want to pay and need.

thoughts?

How?

also some people in a audiophile discord said the same thing. seems like a common agreed upon thing.

answer: Open is spacious, soundstage and imaging is detailed more and you pinpoint everything way easier instead of closed, which is being all at onceā€¦ muddy and just full of bass. Open makes your game feel way bigger, closed makes it smaller.

1 Like

So because you saw a video now you remember that you donā€™t actually need isolation at all?.. ok.

And all of a sudden that is important?

You know what, go with the Sennheiser. Youā€™re most likely not making a mistake with those. Alternatively if you want open fun, big soundstage and a good amount of bass, also look at the Philips Fidelio X2.

No clue what people see in that soundblaster thing. But if you found a reason to go with that, cool. Everyone has to start somewhere.

I would prefer isolation but dont need it. I wanted it because sometimes people in my house are loud and I donā€™t want it to effect my gaming. But it seems open headphones are better for competitive gaming.

I think the soundblaster dac/amp is because I mentioned consoles. I would prefer another that does the same with optical audio in, but it seems it will fulfill my needs other than optical audio input. It also is $112 which is not bad.

I used to play Q3 in a non-professional competitive manner, and did great with a set of closed back Sennheiser HD280 Proā€™s. Never had issues figuring out where the footsteps were coming from.

Some closed back head phones will have a wide sound stage, some open will have a narrower sound stage.

Donā€™t think going with a set of closed cans is going to be inferior to some open backs for gaming. If you have a noisy house, find decent set of closed cans and donā€™t over think it. Itā€™s not a baby; you can sell them if you donā€™t like them and try a new pair.

Like I said, the FiiO D03K is cheap and converts optical into line level analog. And behind that you can hook up any amp you want. Doesnā€™t have multi-input or gamery malware to go with butā€¦

I would need an amp as well if I were to get that. seems 58x need an amp for ps4

FiiO K5 Pro seems difficult to get? offical website buying is messed up for it and not available on amazon

ā€¦ ā€¦ Yeah. ā€¦ Thatā€™s what I just wrote.

K5 is an older model. SMSL should have pure amps on amazon.

Not a well balanced combination.

Would make for a reasonable choice.

The Focal Listen Pro may be another option worth looking into.

thank you for all of your help i appreciate it

as of this moment in time I think i am getting the FiiO K5 Pro & Sennheiser HD 58X

they are really selling the open back as a life changer.

Its a gaming headset. Just dont forget the fun factor (Iā€™m thinking booming base here). More than anything buy what you think will make you happy.

I mean, having a huge quantity of bass for your face is certainly nice.

For my part, I prefer the half way point of quality and quantity bass. And the edge taken off the treble (so Beyerdynamic V but with AKG/Focal treble)

True. honestly i use sennheiser earbuds and theyre incredible.