What have I done (AIO cooling in a Phanteks Evolv ITX)

so, it all fits! i'll need a few days to test a better cpu overclock, but as of now my 4670k is sitting pretty at 4.6 ghz at 1.2 volts. it only reached 60 degrees max, so i'm going to try to throw some more juice at this puppy.

after a few days of testing the gpu, it actually still gets pretty hot. 70 degrees max, and it's not even overclocked. but at least it isn't a jet engine.

i'll report back with my stable oc in a few days.

1 Like

You might want to check if the hg10 is installed correctly.

My gpu with an NZXT Kraken G10 and a 120mm AIO in push/pull idles at 34c and gets up to 46c at 100% GPU load.

My 280x is not as powerful, but I don't think that temp difference is right still.

Edit: I'm only saying this because I did install the Kraken G10 improperly one time after some cleaning. The temps got up to 74c. I took it apart and put it back together carefully, and Ta Da. It was like magic.

hmmm, okay i'll take it apart. now you've got me worried lol. anything specific you looked for when you took it apart?

My cooler didn't make proper contact somehow. I saw that the paste had not spread perfectly. I could have swore I put it on properly, too. All the screws were nice and snug.

Live and learn.

Edit: If that still doesn't work for you, you might wanna check your pump RPM. My 120mm AIO draws its power from a pwm fan header. My system thought it was a fan and lowered the speed. I had to manually set it to full speed in the Asus software.

welp, i took the hg10 off. i cleaned the stock corsair thermal paste off of it, and added tuniq tx-4 grease, but i don't see much of a difference. i guess i can just chalk it up to bad air flow in this case.

edit: also, i guess i'm a little shafted with this mobo. it only has 3 PWM fan headers so:

• the cpu header has the h100i gtx 3 pin connector, which powers the 2 pwm fans (controlled by corsair link)
  • the first chasis header has a pwm splitter, with the h75 fan plugged into the tachometer split and the h75 pump plugged into the not tachometer split
  • the second chasis header has a pwm splitter, which powers both front pwm fans.

my question is: is the h75 pump running at full speed? even if it's plugged into a pwm splitter?

I would try powering it from a molex or sata plug to see it go at full speed to be sure. That said, it may be that you aren't getting enough airflow into the case, so the two rads are fighting ove who gets the most airflow towards the outside. You could try having the h100 pull in air instead of exhaust it.

EDIT: Or the other way around and have the h75 pull in fresh air.

From experience, I wouldn't use the GPU rad as an intake. It'll cook the insides of the PC.

OP, I'll post the fan layout of my current pc to give you an idea.

The GPU Radiator is not in the picture, but it's exhausting air in the back chamber behind the motherboard.

Is there a way for you to put your 240mm AIO in the front as an intake?

i mean, maybe? i'm not sure if i can have the rad in the front while still having my 3.5 inch disk. i'll muck around with it tonight and tomorrow.

i have a 2x3 pin to molex cable for the pumps coming in the mail tomorrow.

edit: okay, so i would have to:

1. take the 140mm fans out and probably not use them again
  2. take the drive bay out
  3. take the "phanteks" bracket off
  4. put the h100 in the front (i would even have enough room for push-pull)
  5. find somewhere for my hard drive

Sounds like you have a plan. Keep us updated on how it's going.

And yeah. I had to get rid of my 3.5inch bay for extra space as well. And I have about 6 fans and other random stuff left over from failed ideas.

What started out as a "simple" twin AIO upgrade turned into a complete overhaul lol

1 Like

The struggles: A true gamer's story.

So this happened.

overall, it's really quiet now. the gpu is still a little warm (73 degrees).

i ordered an led strip for it too, so i'll show more pictures when that comes in.