This is not specific to L1T but a broader question about where all these devices went?
Back in like 2022 I got the model TESMart PKS0401A10 KVM switch, which uses 4x USB-A + DisplayPort inputs, and one DisplayPort output for a single monitor. It has worked great. But over the years when I tried to recommend it to others, I realized that TESMart not only discontinued that model, they seem to have discontinued ALL (??) of their DisplayPort KVM switches. Now when i search their site I can barely find any.
Well now in 2026 its even worse because most every device is using solely to USB-C. So now I need a KVM that will accept 2+ USB-C inputs, and a single USB-C output to the 4K 60Hz monitor.
I have spent days searching and for some reason that I cannot understand, I am unable to find any satisfactory solutions for this. At least not anything of the quality and price point of the TESMart I have right now (~$200 USD)
It feels like I have got to be missing something. Why does this product seemingly not exist? I saw some crappy USB-C dongles on Amazon that let you plug in multiple laptops and use a single monitor but of course none of them have any accomodation for your external USB devices (mouse, keyboard) that you also need to share between computers too. Please someone help me understand this because I thought KVM’s were “solved” more than a decade ago yet here I am needing another office setup and struggling to find a solution. Thanks for any advice.
Probably because HDMI is more popular overall and so hardware manufacturers just pivot production and R&D to focus on HDMI. USB-C DP is still relatively new so it will take time for manufacturers to go there.
While newer devices may have USB-C connections, how often do people change their TVs / Monitors / laptops / PC to newer ones? The tech is sufficiently mature that whatever works 5 years ago is still good and these would likely still sport HDMI and no USB-C. So if these people were to replace a part of their overall setup, they are likely to opt for a HDMI compatible item.
well the monitor I bought four years ago had USB-C input, along with every other monitor I was considering at the time, and the new monitor for our new office setup also has USB-C. So as far as I can tell, nothing has changed in regards to the monitors. What has changed appears to be that KVM offerings that support USB-C monitors or even DP monitors have diminished. Also, I dont really understand this newfound push for HDMI when last I checked converting USB-C / DP to HDMI was horrid and gave tons of glitches and issues with our MacBooks. For my previous KVM I only went with DP for the monitor because I also connect it to a PC that has DP output, so going from laptop USB-C → KVM → monitor DP was fine because afaict there is no video signal conversion needed. But every attempt I ever made to convert from MacBook USB-C → monitor HDMI gave terrible results.
Not sure if they exist but if it is thunderbolt 4 it should be backwards compatible with any USB device. So try searching for a thunderbolt 4 kvm. However it might be difficult to find one in the $200 range.
Hah, I still don’t have any HDMI computer monitors. My 22” Dell monitor happens to have DisplayPort, but everything else is still VGA/DVI (and my budget doesn’t have me changing to anything else in the foreseeable future) HDMI means having to hook up to a TV.