What do you use your VPS for?

I have a basic Linode (the $5/month) that I have PiHole on, but soon taking it down to run locally.

Anything interesting I could do with it instead of deleting my VPS?
In my Homelab I have

-HexOS running PLEX
-Transmission server downloading linux .ISO’s to the HexOS server
-Home Assistant
-NUT server for my UPS and the aforementioned servers above

1 Like

I have 3 running.

  1. ArchiveTeam downloading the entire internet.

  2. Personal email server.

  3. VPN server (Wireguard). Phones, laptops, routers, etc all have a VPN running and this allows Home Assistant and any other service to work everywhere without having to put it directly on the internet.

3 Likes

Interesting

I’m one of the 10k today.
VPN, wireguard tunnel, Email, website relay.
I use the 12/m one though

A second dns server for my tailnet on google cloud free tier. Although this self-hosted dns on tailnet thing isnt very well-supported.

Do you get abuse complaints? I used to do Masscan on the /0 and got them ALL the time
Like I’m SORRY, I didn’t know a single SYN packet is abuse

1 Like

Currently use mine to act as a reverse proxy and VPN server. I have my primary game server connected to it with caddy handling reverseproxy to the game server and it’s management panel. Overall it’s been pretty good. I avoid forwarding ports on my home network and it’s made containing it very easy.

Nope. Been running for years. But it’s not scanning the internet. It’s running 10 ArchiveTeam client downloading stuff.

wireguard peer for connecting ~ 20 machines because tailscale was not a thing back then and i am too bored to tell everyone to migrate

Yes i am aware how inefficient that is and you just need a STUN server or something - or tailscale - but it has 99.9999 uptime and i really really do not want to tell chem postgrads to install something new

1 Like

I run a Wireguard server on my router to get home network access for my spouse and me for:

  • phone image back-ups
  • general file back-ups
  • jellyfin
  • shared storage
  • webdav
  • caldav
  • getting around sudden geolocked content while abroad

It works great for us with the home 1Gbit fibre line. It maxes out on about on just over 300Mbit for the VPN connection, but that’s more than enough for our usecase.

I wish I could do Wireguard to my homelab, but I’m behind CGNAT from Comcast

That’s another good use for a VPS. You can run a VPN on it (wireguard, tailscale, netbird, etc.), and your lab has a VPN link to that VPS so you can connect to your lab by connecting to the VPS. Good way to get around CGNAT.

it is the better option to the http /s proxy people suggest for ie jellyifn

Have you considered trying something like NetBird? You can try their cloud hosted VPN services for free to give it a shot. And if that works for you, and you need more connections, get either a cloud sub or see if you can host it on a VPS hosted on a public IP.

I’ve been considering setting it up locally (I luckily have a static IPv4 and IPv6), but haven’t gotten around to it. Partially because I have Wireguard up and running already and partially because I can’t run NetBird from my router itself. But it does look interesting if you want, and need, to get around something like CGNAT.

1 Like

doesn’t tailscale still work, if you don’t want to go as far as netbird?

I thought it punched through cgnat by uniting centralised CCC servers

It can be part of that option. Specifically it would be the part that connects the VPS securely to your home lab network, or even directly to that jellyfin server. You can run your reverse proxy on the VPS, and then it forwards over the VPN to your servers in your home. Or you can forward the connection over the VPN to a reverse proxy on your local network (though this can be harder to set up).

You might have seen people suggesting cloudflare tunnel. That is in effect the same thing, except with closed source and vendor lock-in. I believe tailscale and netbird have optional components to manage the reverse proxy for you that I have heard is just as easy to use as the cloudflare version (but I haven’t tried myself).

Netbird can be fully self-hosted, or you can use their service for free (up to 100 computers I think). With tailscale you can only self-host some parts of it, and I believe it is free for up to 100 computers.

1 Like

I run Pangolin to reverse proxy my internal services from my homelab (immich, vikunja, paperless, home assistant, etc).

1 Like

ArchiveTeam downloading the entire internet.

And how many exobytes of storage do you have?

I use my vps as a streaming server, and a vpn gateway right now. In the past I’ve run irc server, irc bots, web GUI to irc bridge, twitter to irc to discord bridge, and more that I can’t remember. Yes I linked twitter to discord to irc so posts on 1 show up in the other 2.