What do you look for in a VPN provider for router-level use?

I’ve been looking at VPN providers that can be used at the router level rather than relying only on a desktop or mobile app.

One of the services I’ve been looking at is CometVPN: https://cometvpn.com/

For people running a VPN on OpenWRT, OPNsense/pfSense or similar setups, what matters most to you when choosing a provider?

Personally I’d look at things like WireGuard/OpenVPN support, access to manual configuration files, server stability, routing flexibility, IPv6 handling and whether a kill switch can be implemented cleanly at the router level.

Curious what features actually matter in real-world use and which ones are mostly marketing.

I use Mullvad VPN Mullvad VPN - Privacy is for the people

I chose them for privacy, anti-censorship features and the exceptional documentation they provide to configure the VPN: WireGuard on a router

I also use a router running OpenWRT.

1 Like

I used to use Nord, but gave up as they don’t fully support wireguard (they use their own version of it, which seems to have latency issues due to their version using double encryption, which adds extra latency) and try to force you to use openvpn instead (which is vastly inferior)

Now I use windscribe and I have no complaints so far, wireguard runs as smooth as butter. The only thing I don’t really like is you have to use their AI bot, garry for support…but once you ignore the snippy comments from him, it’s not that bad tbh.

also on openwrt

+1 for mullvad
There is also protonvpn Install Proton VPN on your router | Proton VPN