What do you guys think, snake-oil or not?

Someone sent me this link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nikolalabs/nikola-phone-case-power-your-phone-with-wasted-ene/description

This seems like some amazingly bad snake oil. I know Tesla played around with RF to send electricity around by at the same time there really isn't that much power in things like Wifi. Thus I say snake-oil. What do you guys think?

It's possible but the energy yield surely wont be enough to keep it charged. Bear in mind that radio waves are just another form of energy. And Tesla was more interested in pulling the static charge from the ionosphere and magnetic energy from the Earth, however i'm sure he did experiment with energy via radio waves as well. The man was a genius way ahead of his time.

1 Like

Sounds to me like they want to capture some of the wireless signals that go to cell towers and wifi and turn that back into electricity for your phone. That is essentially an inefficient way of putting your phone on airplane mode. I guess that it would be nice to be able to only use as much energy for signals as you actually need, but a hardware implementation in the phone which only powers the signals as much as necessary would be far more efficient than trying to convert the signals back into electricity. Maybe they can somehow implement that on the software side and require an app at the same time. Regardless, seems like snake oil in the sense that it won't deliver what it is leading people to believe that it will. What we need is more efficient implementations in phones.Somehow having a hardware interrupt implementation type of thing from the cell tower for standby mode (ie not actively texting/calling/using data) would be nice. More efficient OS and cpu would be the most important thing though.

P.s. This technology will reduce your reception most likely.

Call me crazy - but wouldn't this just turn your phone into a Faraday cage? And even if it did work, i would assume that the efficiency would be so bad that it would be close to ineffectual and possibly result in a lot of heat generation.

fake.

Would like to see on-screen live footage of phone (streaming etc) then the magical unicorn case fitted and see the transition from a non-charging state to charging state. The whole multmeter demo doesnt hold up to the sniff test imho.
This would mean a revolution for the 'Internet of things' if this does work and pushed forward I guess.
I wont be funding em but all the best to em regardless.

The technology exists already.

http://www.digikey.com/en/articles/techzone/2013/may/tune-in-charge-up-rf-energy-harvesting-shows-its-potential

Their "proprietary" solution could simply be to make a smaller version of this technology. But I doubt it means that you'll never have to recharge your phone or anything like that.

Speaking of, allegedly it is what powers RFID tags. Go figure.

Well there are passive ones (needs to be uber close to source power) and active tags (battery).

It probably does work, but probably in a really shitty way. Other companies with bigger budgets would have already implemented it if it was so great. I'd rather have a higher capacity battery than a huge, separate case.