What do you guys/gals do with your spare GPUs?

So i’ve been cleaning my office and realized ive now got a few GPUs just doing nothing collecting dust on the shelf and just curious with what you do with them. I was thinking about selling/trading but i dont want to deal with Ebay due to risking being scammed during the GPU crisis and well r/homelabsales got me nowhere so kind of stuck with:

• Titan Xp
  • Titan V
  • GTX 760

I did mine for a week or so on the Xp and the V and honestly it was nice but just way too loud and hot so decided to cancel that endeavor sadly and now it turns out i have no need for these gpus nor does my family or friend need/want them and having them sitting on a shelf is wasting their potential. so looking for some fun ideas or projects to maybe use them for although i do have a few already being done such as:

• Plex Server with a NVIDIA T1000
  • BlueIRIS/Windows GPU VM what im using with another Titan V i have in a windows

Id love to hear some ideas if anyone has any please :slight_smile:

Selling them is what I’ve usually done, but if you don’t have a use for them in the homelab, then maybe see if there’s a school or maker space or something in your area which could use it.

Offer them up for sale to communities you trust. That Titan V in particular should get people’s attention, especially if somebody needs an FP64 compute monster. You just have to be aware that if you aren’t using eBay to sell them, you don’t get to use eBay to price them. The higher prices on eBay happen to offset fees, not to actually increase profits.

If you’re fully stuck with them (which I find extremely surprising considering the current climate, and those are all desirable cards at the right price) then perhaps you can offer them up to distributed compute work like FAH. Get yourself a little linux box assembled and cash in a few hundred-thousand PPD. Better than mining coins, but that’s just my opinion.

1 Like

The only thing i have with eBay is i keep seeing time and time again people getting scammed as the buyer can tell eBay that X product isn’t working and they get the money back + keep the product and im just worried thats going to happen.

I have a few GPUs mainly due to a good friend who works at a Major tech company and well i needed some GPUs for a school project it was stupidly over kill but he offered to send me some Titan V’s and Xp’s and he did and now since the project is over hes fine with me selling them or doing what every with them. and thats where im lost at, just not sure what to do with the others im not using.

Folding @ Home

I’m insane and just keep a collection of hundreds of cards, some on display, so my opinion on the matter varies from, “those sure look nice on a shelf though,” to “god I wish I had a Titan V, I should offer this guy some money on one/he should totally sell those cards they’re worth a bit.”

I’ve definitely kept multi-thousand dollar cards on a glass shelf for months at a time, much to the anger of many people. I’d personally use that Titan V though, they’re badass. I may be outdated on the numbers but I remember GV100 blasting past three Titan Xp’s in F@H daily numbers for the amount of power.

I mean thats understandable honestly… Cards are pretty and collectors items!! The Titan Vs are still great and still do use one for My Gaming VM/Windows CUDA whatever VM and its great its just now i have an RTX A4000 and its quieter in my workstation, and less power hungry what im now using instead as i dont need insane amounts of gpu power

I just have it sitting in storage as back-up…
Recently had a full system upgrade after years (I was on an i5 4690 with 8GB, did have a 1060 though). That old system is just now just a play box where I tried to run some gaming through Linux tests, but is mostly just there in case the current one borks.

By the time the new one gets upgraded, the old one will be over a decade old and I’ll turn it in for recycling.

I collect hardware, so I would be completely fine having them sit in display cases :slight_smile:

Having a spare on hand is always helpful. Not just for the case when your GPU acts up, but also to help out a friend.

most of the time they go back in the box and sold or given away.

coz if i dont they go back in the box and sit in a cupboard till i remember i have it. pull it out, think about what i could do with it. put it back in the box and burry it under all the rest of the old tech in there :slight_smile:

You guys have GPUs?

Joking aside I normally send to my little brothers. Their PCs are built with some parts that I’ve used. And they are okay with that and don’t care about running the latest stuff on max settings.

I would recommend offering these up for sale here. There are plenty of folk who need GPUs and I’ve never had a bad trade with forum members here.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I usually do but he’s running a Titan Xp already from my upgrade and he’s at 1080p so it’s still Plenty for his needs

How would I go about this? Creating a thread? Or is there one already I can post within?

Create a thread in Buy/Sell/Trade - Level1Techs Forums and make sure it complies with the rules here: ***PLEASE READ*** Buy/Sale/Trade Official Rules and Guidelines - #4

Man I would love one of these. Fully unlocked FP64

Lucky dude

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.