What CPU to get with current deals

Hey!

I got an LGA1700 motherboard for my home server build. I havent decided yet if I will be doing TrueNas Core, Scale or UnRaid. Probably TNS, but as it is my first one I will probably first test all of them and see which one I feel more comfortable with. Finally build can wait a few motnhs, as I currently have nothing.

It will run as my nas, my media sever, a windows VM for work and maybe a couple of linux\BSD distros to play around, but they will be off until I feel like playing.

At the current discounts, which processor would you pick.

12600k - 170
12700k - 237
12900k - 325

Is the i9 worth the extra 100 over the i7 for 4 e-cores and 5mb of L3 in this scenario?

The i5-i7 jump seems to add more value, 33% extra cores for ~33% extra money. Will those 2 P-cores make a difference in this case?

for the most part only P-cores matter for a server workload unless its just hosting lots of containerized images.

You would not want to run a windows VM on e-cores, it would be a whole new level of pain.

If you were trying to build a low power light duty NAS or Router then I think e-cores have value, but no i9 value ever.

2 Likes

Yeah i kinda tempt to agree with that.

I think for the money discounts for those three particular cpu´s.
I´d would probably go for the middle solution the i7.
The 8P cores and extra E cores can come handy for certain workloads.
But the i9 might be a bit overkill and harder to cool as well.

1 Like

From the options given, another vote for the 12700.

1 Like

Cpus are so powerful now a days that I would just go for the first one and keep it for awhile while doing smaller upgrades from time to time.

There will always be a better processor out there and if you wait every 5 years even you can get them on great discounts and be perfectly fine for most uses.

Hell I am with my amd 8350(over 10 years old) and no issues for my needs. I know everyone will have different needs but thought to throw that out there.

1 Like

Yup, my overall plan with getting LGA1700 was getting a discounted 12th gen, use it to its full potential, and in 5-7 years, I can get a 14900 for change money, and TN might even be leveraging e-cores much much better

I hate that I did not get it for 211 during BFCM.

I retired my 8350 last year in favor of a 12600k in my photo edition station. It held up perfectly for the use I was giving it but I wanted to move on to something newer and use nvme.

12600k is a beast and will last many many moons before needing replacement.

Enjoy! :blush:

1 Like