What changes do you make to your phone?

When you get a nem phone, or tablet even, what do you do to it? I don’t mean like rooting or roms or any of that, I mean like to the os to make it more useable for you. So example:

I hide the soft keys, use hackers keyboard, set it to 25% screen size, change my home screen to adw or smart launcher, shrink system text size, brighten colors, and use dvorak to speed all that along.

I would love to have a T9 touch keyboard but theres no good apps for it and no demand, sadly. I’d also like to have music and a podcast play at the same time like I do one my pc. I use my phone as a laptop in many ways, and these few things would be nice.

What do you guys.do? What do you want that doesn’t exist?

Always with the following over the stock versions.

Nova Launcher Pro with Gel icons
ES File Explorer Pro
BlueMail
Signal

And PowerAmp Pro

1 Like

Enable developer options, turn off animations
Install Nova Launcher
Install F-Droid

I don’t get new devices very often.

1 Like

I put it in a case, turn the brightness down, and shut off most notifications.

That’s really about it.

1 Like

Lineage with apex launcher.

Set privacy guard to ignore all permissions by default.

Developer options enabled with long press back to kill apps and advanced reboot menu.

Right button back/kill, left button menu, center button home/recent apps.

Making the OS more usable starts by wiping it and installing Lineage, so I’m afraid I can’t avoid mentioning ROMs.

Lineage without GApps, no root as It’s not needed.
Set Privacy Guard to ignore all permissions by default
Developer options enabled with long press back to kill apps and advanced reboot menu
Install F-Droid

1 Like

First of all disable all the apps preinstalled that I won’t be using. Than turn off all the blips bloops, haptic feedback and change all the UI elements to be as small as possible.
Install Action Launcher 3, chrooma keyboard (resized with number row and punctuation and symbols as second functions for every key; no text correction or prediction) and install Chronus as clock.

P.S. also install Solid Explorer to access every possible storage local and non on my phone

I tried Linage on my LG G4. While it is nice to have stock Android but the experience has not been great.

Often I have to press the power button many times to get the screen to come on. Sometimes I will find the device red hot even if I have not been using it and the battery plunging to zero.

A reboot temporarily resolves the situation.

Sadly the build is no longer maintained due to an encryption bug. Unofficial builds can be found here but I can’t do a direct upgrade and would have to wipe my phone again.

I generally buy phones according to 3rd party popularity for just that reason.

Used galaxy’s but now I’m on the oneplus train. They always have good support.

AnySoftKeyboard has a layout for that, maybe check that.

I don’t know how well it works though since I don’t use it.

Sadly that’s up to the specific apps and their audio implementation :frowning: not much you can do about it except “get a different app”

1 Like

The first thing I do is install Nova Launcher Prime and uninstall/disable all bloatware.
Other than that I enable developer settings, install Gboard and an icon pack of my choosing. I’m currently running Lines Free.

Download the apps
Nova: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher.prime
Gboard: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin
Lines Free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.natewren.linesfree