What chairs are you guys using at the desk?

I’m using Steelcase Gesture and I think it’s the best chair in the world right now, extremely comfortable, best arm rests ever, sitting on it for many hours a day and no back pain or anything bad.

2 Likes

I have an Ikea Jarvfjället Chair.
It’s quite adjustable and surprisingly good for around 200 Bucks, I haven’t had issues with it since getting it a littler over half a year ago.
Most Importantly for me, it has good ventilation and works well for a tall body.

But if I didn’t aquire a standing desk I might have opted for an even better one.

First wait for a sale. They often have sales. Non of the stuff is worth at full price.
It’s comfy so far, but I only had it for about a week.
The build quality is fine. When you have to build it yourself you realize how many corners were cut.
The arm rests basically hold the entire thing together. There is no frame on it. So if you are a chonky bastard like me maybe it’s not the best idea.
The height adjustment is fine. It does its job. There is no tilt what so ever.
I have a massive blanket on top of it, so I won’t scratch the leather.
Other than that sitting on it is fine. There are no glaring issues. I just don’t like all the corners that have been cut.

1 Like

Steelcase Series 1 at work.

Had a $400 chair budget, so I used it all.

Extremely comfortable, I don’t have any back pain after many hours sitting in it.

I did break the lumbar support off with less than a month of normal office use though.

I used to have the IKEA one of this and other than the arms being hard plastic it.was comfy and the right shape.

I need a new chair, one with a smaller base, I got a free chair and its just the wrong size, the base is too long so I can’t sit back into to. The arms are hard plastic and too tall pushing my shoulders up if I try to so properly into it.

I would love a chair with removable arms as it would be nice to be able to sit back an play the bass, rather than sitting on the edge.

1 Like

This is the whole problem - was about to buy it, but then got to the comments and hell there was a lot of “after 1 month of use” with loud squicky noises etc. It did feel really great when I set in one in the store, but am really afraid of it falling to pieces in the near month. And this is not a money concern. More of a “got used to something very comfy just to return to the meh comfort one” (the Rick and Morty episode with the perfect balance thing) and bang my head against the wall.

1 Like

I’ve got a Humanscale Freedom Headrest that I have been using for a few years. Its great, but the chair was a referb and is almost 8 years old. Not to squeeky but the piston is slow.

My Wife has a SecretLabs Titan Evo she has been using for 6 to 7 months. Its pretty comfy but we both hate the way the arms adjust.

How about adjustable armrests?

Yeah, I have seen similar comments about mine, but then they say JYSK is replacing them with no hassle, so I don’t really mind. Also I am not really messing with it. I sit on it and barely use the rests. They are holding the back tho, so we shall see…

YES…
I am a chonkey bastard and there is plenty of room on the chair even when I am full smashed mode on it. It is way larger than it looks… I will give it that do, it’s comfy overall.

2 Likes

Nah they have to be completely not there to not be in the way of a guitar body on your lap.

1 Like

I’m rocking an older version of this ikea chair: MILLBERGET Swivel chair, Murum beige - IKEA

Mine is just straight white, which in hindsight was maybe a mistake. It’s easy enough to wipe down but it’s definitely a little dingier than when I first bought it four or five years ago. >_>

2 Likes

My only advise is to make sure you buy a chair that is designed for being sat in for hours on end, people don’t realize that not all chairs are created equal.

Also this is very important, I have recently been having a sore butt in my Herman Miller Aeron over the Christmas and New Year Holiday. I don’t blame the chair. I actually blame my poor seating habits and horrible posture in the chair.

A good chair does not stop issues caused by poor posture habits.

5 Likes

I am using an Ikea Markus and its a good chair for the price.

Hi guys

Some interesting choices here.

I am sitting at home in a 10 year old Herman Miller Embody - love it, well, I had a back injury 10 years ago and was working as a photoshop retoucher. This chair was a blessing I could sit comfortable all day 10+ hours and work.

My wife recently, bought a HAG, one of those saddle chairs. This one is set up for drafting height, so elevated desk so you can either sit or stand.

I am jealous it’s really comfortable.

I worked in OHS or Work Health and Safety, ergonomics was one area that I had to attend to.
The question I have for you all is, what is it you value in a chair, how long do you sit in this chair every day??

I am not saying you need to buy a $1000+ chair far from. But from an ergonomic stand point, one of the best chairs are the Gregory chair - yes it’s your average office chair!

Happy sitting, but remember to get up every now and then…. You will last longer that way

Henrik

1 Like

Devil’s advocate… what about a standing desk, awhile back I put two Ikea side tables and a book self to make a raised stand for my monitor and keyboard.

Giving all the talk of chairs even with a steel case leap, I can’t say lower back pain was not part of my life.

1 Like

I’m done with cheap office chairs. I ordered myself the Herman Miller Aeron and waiting for it to arrive. I’ve used one before at the office, I loved it, everyone else hated them. However, if this model of chair can survive abuse from 100 people in a room used 24/7, then it can deal with me sitting on it every day for the next 10 years.

2 Likes

I splurged and bought a fully specced herman miller aeron last year in zoom grad school. It was worth every penny since I sat in it every day for my classes, internship work, and my current job.

I posted about it intially here
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/post-what-new-thing-you-acquired-recently/149881
/4507?u=bedhedd

Here’s my setup.

When I research, I usually check youtube reviews so these were some videos that helped my finalize my decision.

Looks like David Zhang made a chair tier list

1 Like

I was using the Ikea Markus but found it hard to keep my bum all the way back in the seat pan, so I ended up with lower back pain because I wasn’t seating right.

I went ahead and ordered a Remastered Aeron after some research and hype. It took me about a month to get used to the it and I can say I’m pretty happy with my purchase. It sucks to have back pain.

1 Like

Huh. Never actually saw that part for some reason. If so, think I’ll need to visit their store some time soon. Thank you!

1 Like

That is definitely on the list for me too. A sit stand desk. Similarly regardless of the chair will want to stand after a while. I will be getting both eventually

At my old office I did use a Swopper with a standing desk. It took some getting used to, but that was a nice combination as well :thinking:
If I had a bit more space for my desk at home, I would like to get one of those. But for work that would be a nice option again!