What case do you guys use to put millions of hard drives in?

I have stacks (k, maybe 10-15) SATA drives laying around that I want to put to use. Maybe for spare/extra storage, overflow… who knows. I already have a Cooler Master HAF that has no empty spaces for more hard drives for my fileserver. I would PREFER to stuff everything into one case instead of having 2 full tower cases.

I’m also cheap. What do you guys use to put all your hard drives in?

I would get a server cabinet and a couple blades. Otherwise, my desktop case is a Rosewill BLACKHAWK-ULTRA; which can fit 10 HDDs (14 if you use adapters for the optical drives).

1 Like

Standard desktop case with that many HDD bays - Cooler Master Cosmos 2… It starts with 13 and if you utilize the optical bays may go to 19…
Cheap one - I don’t think you will find such thing.

this is the cheapest I can find.

1 Like

The Rosewill B2 Spirit can do 13 drives in the stock configuration.

With some bay adapters you could probably fit another six or so.

Many 4u rack cases come with optional configs for lots of drive bays

This was going to be my suggestion as I’ve recently used 4U server cases that have options for many PCI-E or drive bays. There are short and full depth versions and I optioned fan walls with 120mm fans rather than the usual 90mm to reduce the air flow noise.

X-case was the supplier I was using but they are UK based. Chenbro is a case band that have been doing these cases for a while.

1 Like

I literally built my office around a 7’6" server rack about 14 years ago. I cut it out with a sawzall about 6 years ago :frowning: I know server cases would be the best, but I’d rather not get all industrial again.

I’ve been eyeing one of the 4U cases from xcase for a while, but I have to move flats soon, so need less to carry, not more!
But boy do they look handy, and a good price for new

Might have to find yourself a disk shelf and attach it to a machine using something like SAS. I have a fibrechannel disk shelf full of 750GB hard drives and I just used them for a FreeNAS box. Couldn’t use the actual disk shelf because it by itself pulls over 300W and sounds like a jet engine.

Got any K’Nex? I have a scalable design for holding tons and tons of hard drives.

2 Likes