What browsers and search engines would you guys recommend?

I used to use Firefox and Duckduckgo and then about a year or two ago migrated over to brave browser and brave’s search shortly after. Brave is alright, but it’s not as lightweight as i’d like it to be so i’m just cruising around looking at alternatives. Just curious what you guys use. Thanks!

1 Like

Everything is shit atm, you either get the choice of Chromium flavor or Firefox or if you want something “older” Pale Moon.

With Chromium dropping support for webRequest API in manifest 3, adblockers like we know them won’t be possible anymore in any Chromium flavor which doesn’t implement their own or try to keep said API.

Since Firefox follows Chromium like a dog that will be same there.

Pale Moon sadly is rather slow in it’s JS engine and still doesn’t have proper implementation of newer CSS and other JS features.

So as for browser and you want to keep everything minimal and maybe without Google, try Ungoogled Chromium
Newest Releases

Take Firefox for what’s it worth, it’s rather small and minimal I guess.

There is currently nothing good to recommend, you will always have something that annoys you.

As for search engine, either duckduckgo or try a searx instance:
searx github
List of public instances

Edit: Edit: I got it backwards with the APIs it’s not the declarativeNetRequest API that’s getting removed it’s the webRequest API that’s getting removed. :sweat_drops:
I’m an idiot!

3 Likes

It’s all so tiresome :frowning:

Thank you for your input Hako. Very good write up. Unfortunately it seems like Firefox with DDG is that case of “Better the devil you know”

That pretty much sums it up.

searxng search engine or searx search.

simple web browser alternative… make your own in visual basic.

searxng isnt that light weight if you dont want it to be as you can configure things like how many threads to use. so it can max out your cpu if you want it to. or not if you dont.

For tacticool browsers: LibreWolf and Ungoogled Chromium.
For more… supported browsers Firefox and Edge.
Addons for firefox: Bypass Paywalls, Country Flags & Whois IP, Decentraleyes, DownThemAll!, Exif Viewer, Floccus Bookmark sync, Google search link fix, Greasemonkey, Honey, HTTPS Everywhere, Kee, New Tab Homepage, NoScript, Privacy Badger, Referer Modifier, Self-Destructing Cookies, uBlock Origin, User-Agent Switcher
Addons for Ungoogled Chromium: Chromium Web Store, Floccus, uBlock Origin, WebRTC Control.

For search engines you can either run your own Searx and be realitively unhappy, use Duckduckgo and be relatively unhappy, or use Google and be satisfied with the performance, but miserable with your masters.

The more addons you have, the more unique browser fingerprint you have. HTTPS Everywhere is pretty much incorporated in the recent firefox builds. Im uncertain if Decentraleyes is actually still functional.

If you are concerned about privacy, LibreWolf and a mainstream VPN resists fingerprinting. I appear as Windows 10 in California with standard fonts and no add-ons, rather than Firefox on Linux with lots of add-ons and languages, from a small country.

browser

mobile

Brave for purchases/irl stuff
Fennec for work
Mull for browsing

desktop

Firefox with a bunch of addons. Containers + profiles are very nice. Probably should migrate to waterfox or something else when they go full cuckoo

search

I had enough with duckduckgo, so I tried searx.org. It’s good enough for my needs.

If it isn’t working or can’t find what I’m looking for, try startpage

Technically, they are duckduckgo, but use google’s index instead of bing. I tried brave, but it wasn’t a significant difference for me to change the default. Maybe when startpage slips

For browsers you might take a look at Librewolf or Qutebrowser.