What book has the pleasure button?

Wendell and Logan have mentioned this in passing in the past, and I never really paid much attention to it. But now I am getting more into books and I believe I recall them mentioning that there was a scifi book which had some sort of pleasure button that people could use instead of drugs and the like. I think it was something like Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep or something. So if anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be very appreciative.

Yes that is the one.

What is the name that they use to refer to it in the book?

The penfeild mood organ, you would dial numbers to get the mood you want and the most famous one is 481.

2 Likes

This is also semi-featured in a Dr. Who episode, where society has collapsed because people get addicted to mood patches.

Can't remember what mood ends up killing them all. I think it's "bliss" or something.

1 Like

There is also a "pleasure button" in one of Larry Niven's Ringworld books, where our main character in... the second or third novel? ... is addicted to what amounts to the electrical output from a small implant in the pleasure center of his brain.