What are your thoughts on GTA V cheating?

Wendell and Ryan were talking about how a Georgia court decided to place a ban on the sale of Menyoo, a not that popular GTA V cheat. I’ve seen several paycheats from the likes of NiggerMenu get taken down “mysteriously”, probably from a DMCA claim to the host. I have also received a DMCA takedown notice for my Atlassian account, because I am the curator of the source code to a former popular cheat called m0d-s0biet-V redux, which was based on s0biet’s work for a cheat for SA-MP. The repository is here: https://bitbucket.org/gir489/m0d-s0beit-v-redux/ However, thanks to the reverse engineering clause of the DMCA, I fought back and won against the DMCA claim, and was able to keep the source code up, since I proved I had legally purchased GTA V and was not selling the source code.

As a security engineer who just happens to write cheats, I feel like this is the Chinese approach to dealing with this problem by just banning the information. I’ve actually volunteer directly to Rockstar to help them solve their cheating problem, by implementing call-stack checks, native function callback handlers, that would validate the validity of the call and if it’s being called out of scope, writing a heuristics bot to calculate the validity of the calls. I don’t feel like Take Two is taking the best approach here, and they’ve been hammering the cheating community about this since day 1 because they are trying to protect shark cards.

I have been a staunch offender of bypassing DLC, pay to win microtransactions and just other nefarious bullshit I’ve seen plague the industry of the last 15 years, and I will continue to fight this garbage. You’ve seen our strength with how we’ve adapted to Denuvo, and you’ve seen our strength to how we’ve dealt with popular games like PUBG, Fortnite and GTA V. PUBG actually has a very good anti cheat, but the problem is, cheating is ALWAYS a cat-and-mouse game. And at the end of the day, we’re going to find a way in. The question is, how hard is it to make a cheat for it and is it feasible. If you look at games like Dota 2, I’ve never even seen any cheats for it. This is because of how well designed the game is. Everything happens on the server, everything is client-requested, and the client is just a camera. I’ve seen last hit hacks, and illusion ESP. All of this REALLY amounts to nonsense, not enough to get you a serious advantage. The most MMR I’ve seen these guys play at is 3K, which is average… I saw someone post a video of someone using a creep blocking script and an autocast script for Invoker, and he was GARBAGE at best.

What are your thoughts on video game hackers like myself?

2 Likes

I played a lot of GTA V back in the day… 360 --> Xbox One, and thought about switching over to PC since you can transfer your GTA:O character… but in the end I simply stopped playing.

I prefer to earn things via legitimate gameplay but R* simply has made this approach completely non-viable. I already have a full time job, I don’t have time to play hours and hours to get $10 GTA bucks… which is precisely the reasoning behind shark cards.

I completely understand hacker’s motives to bypass that bullshit and access the content that all should have available, but regardless of any workarounds the entire “pay-to-enjoy” scheme in GTA Online has turned me off completely.

Cheats or no cheats, if the online experience is like that, its a resounding “hard pass” for me.

Its just sad really what they’ve done to the game. It started out with such promise, but they’ve squeezed the cash cow to death.

Since there isn’t any sort of competition in GTA:O and its all about accruing in-game content, I say fuck 'em, keep hacking in cash.

Games where there are leaderboards and active competition should not allow cheating though, but thats just me.

I actually wrote a 360 and PS3 TCP hack for GTA V, that would just request the natives over a MITM device. Basically, sending crafted commands to the 360 or PS3, and have it run the natives. This isn’t as prevalent now on the XBOX One or PS4, since the packets are signed now. However, I have seen a few people do it, so it’s not completely impossible, although I suspect they’ve had a compromised XBOX One or PS4 with a jailbreak or something. I had a friend who wrote cheats for CoD on the 360, just to see if he could do it. It’s much harder, since not only do you have to bypass the console’s security, you also have to deal with the XBL checks and callbacks. So he was able to cheat for like a week, but then the KV would get banned and he would have to buy another. I feel PC cheating will always be easier because of the nature of PCs and how the user has full control of the environment, whereas consoles are pretty much a black box. Or, so Microsoft and Sony would like us to think they are…

Generally our motives is to just ruin the game, at least that’s mine and a few other hackers that I know. Spawning money and stuff like that is just a byproduct of it. Bypassing DLC and microtransactions I feel really gets the anti-pirates juices going(and the companies), I love reading their comments about how they’re mad that they paid for it, and we didn’t.

I played GTA Online for a couple years on PC and only ran into someone cheating like… one time? I believe? It wasn’t super common.

The window for that has ended now, and you can no longer transfer. Recently got a PS4 and attempted and its been shut down.

1 Like

Yea this was a while ago, before the new content in-game prices soared so high that it was laughable.

Its just such a joke now that I don’t even bother.

It depends on your region. I play on US East, and when I was playing, I was always playing with someone else who was cheating, too. I stopped because I felt other people were doing a good enough job griefing the game, and I felt other games needed my attention. The Level1 crew has mentioned several times that every time they play they run in to a hacker, so I’m assuming not much has changed, but I think they play on US West, although I think Wendell said they’re in Kentucky now? So they might be in US East now, not sure…

There’s no place for cheating in competitive games. But in regards to GTA V… I’m all for it.

Yeah it’s annoying when you keep getting constantly spawned into the ocean on fire. But that doesn’t happen all too often.

I have been gifted millions of GTA $ from cheaters, which without it, the game would be pretty dull. It’s too much of a grind to actually earn money, as everything is so expensive. And I have no interest in buying shark cards.

What is in the mind of a cheater? Not talking about a pro cheating, just the average dude. What the hell is the point? To piss people off and laugh?

I imagine a very sad person when I run into a cheater online. It’s already low enough that we sit inside and play games on the computer, let alone cheating in them lmao

Yes. Our goal is to piss you off.

Well then to answer your question, I think less of you than Rockstar and that is a very low bar. Over the several years I used to play the game I’ve had numerous hours wasted by those like you and those that used products like yours.

1 Like

feelsgood

If you made this thread to antagonize users it will not last long.

It’s basically ruined the game for me. Every session I played had someone modding in one way or another.

You’re giving me what I want, what do you expect?

Cant have nice things. Went nowhere fast.

This could have been a decent discussion topic, but unfortunately devolved into personal squabbling. @gir489 as OP, it is your duty to set the tone of your topic and help steer its discussion. It seems like the intent of this topic was less about sparking community discourse and more about provoking folks, so the topic was closed.

1 Like