What Android Phone or phones are the best currently?

So I have another Verizon "upgrade" available and it has me wondering what makes a smartphone "one of the best" or stand out in the market? What would be your answer to this?

I have typically used LG, but wanted to hear the opinion of people who have used multiple or different brands of Android and their thoughts on the different phones available.
I currently have a G3.

Is Verizon still limited in what you can buy? I've heard the lock to lock you in there crap?

If you can, look at the Nexus 6P. Up to date, will get android N (you can get it now actually), has monthly security updates.

I prefer stock android but thats sometimes personal preference. The 6P has might higher storage options, so SD cards arent really an issue. It also supports Google Fi, so you may consider leaving Verizon?

I had a Nexus 4 then a G3 (had issues with the G3), then Nexus 5X. Great phone, the 6P is just better in every way pretty much.

Is there anything you really need?

Just a long battery, decent processing, 1080p or higher, water resistant/proof preferable, and reliability. I don't like bloatware.
What issues did you have with the G3?
I'll check out the Nexus

I had hardware issues with it, screen started going.

Nexus hits most of your wants, the only thing its not is IP67/8 rated.

I will only use Nexus phones, I have the 5X and I'm impressed. I have read many people dislike the 5X but I have had no issue with it. I'm in the UK so there are no issues with buying a phone and just putting the sim you want.

x2 stick with the Nexus line. There might be neat bells and whistles in other flagship phones, but IMO Nexus options will have the features that one should consider paramount- namely frequent security updates... I'm going to practice what I preach and the next phone will be a nexus.

Sorry to hear about your G3 experience Eden. Mine has been solid except for things I did to it (hard bricked once, required a jtag reflash of the snapdragon). I even took it into the shower once to wash it (long story)- its more waterproof than they give it credit. What I don't like about it has been the software side and I have been able to fix via cyanogenmod- snappy (LG skinned OS was getting laggy with updates), frequent security updates, latest OS. That said, looking forward to having a fast fingerprint sensor and more direct google support in the next phone. If Android N doesn't deliver something like MS's Continuum, maybe the next release (Android O?) will and that would be the icing on the new phone cake.

Theres some rumors of merging Chrome OS and Android. I dont think the base UI does any desktop mode so theres nothing yet (not likely to happen for N), but plug a 5X or 6P into a tiny hub (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018XF4KRC) and you got yourself a KVM. Bet your could hook it up to tasker and have it set up a fairly usable desktop when it plugs in.

I've heard of google discontinuing support for ChromeOS and assimilating it. Hmm, I have tasker- I was thinking of a launcher like Nova to keep it simple (for instance simply getting the homescreen to go into landscape- put different apps on the homescreen for "desktop mode")- worst thing is just not adjusting to a large screen. I don't like using the intranet at work for personal things, so I have a slimport adapter to plug my phone into and take over one of my monitors, and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, so I kind of get the desktop experience, except the sizing of the apps still thinking they are on a small screen- also slimport adapters all seem to suffer from intermittent blanking out.

With Remix OS and the shortcomings of marshmallow on the pixel C mentioned in the press, I hope this is a priority for google.

any of these:
ASUS ZenFone 2 = intel Atom Z3570+powervr G6430

wiko wax(europe only) / Blackphone(more or less all countries) = ARM Cortex-A9 r4+ nvidia Tegra 4i

Elephone P9000 = ARM Cortex-A53 + ARM Mali-T860 MP2

Samsung Galaxy S7 = ARM Cortex-A53 + ARM Mali-T880 MP12

LG G5 / Xiaomi Mi 5 Pro/ HTC 10/ Sony Xperia X Performance/ HP Elite X3 = Qualcomm Kryo + Adreno 530

1 Like

If it helps, Nexus phones will apparently be getting free uncapped full quality uploads on google photos

3 Likes

Look at the Huawei Honor 5X.. Or one of Oppo phones.

The Honor 5X comes with a

1080p screen, 3000mAH battery, expandable storage, 5.5 inch screen. Fingerprint scanner, 3GiBs of RAM all that. Except no Gyrometer. $199

http://m.gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_5x-7590.php

And you can install Cyanogen on it

If you love android you will love the nexus 6p

I'd just say avoid Samsung on Verizon. You'll never see timely updates. I vote 6p.

1 Like

FTFY

1 Like

This looks so nice!
Same with the Nexus

Sweet mother of &$%^. I know I want Nexus as my next phone, but this would make me swing team Moto unless Nexus catches up.
Moto OneCompute

(post deleted by author)