What am I looking for? Melodic black metal? Gothic Metal?

I recently discovered MandragorA ScreaM. I'm currently obsessed with their song "Dark Lantern".

I've streamed the whole album, but it didn't quite have that magic I'm looking for, and neither does their more recent/popular stuff. Still need to look into some more. I'm not quite sure what appeals to me about this song in particular. I'm guessing it's the lower/distorted pitch of the screeches in combination of the atmosphere.

The only other good example I can think of would be some of Graveworm's covers, such as "Fear of the Dark"

I'm also vaguely reminded of Cradle of Filth "Funeral In Carpathia".

Can someone tell me what it is I'm looking for?

Hmm here is my little list of a few to try and see what you think, I won't be offended if you hate them but its always worth giving some new stuff a go! Let me know what you think:

But if you're also into heavier stuff or thrashier just let me know and I might be able to suggest more!

I'm actually familiar with Needles 24/7, and I do like that song, but it's not what I'm looking for in this thread. I'm still kinda salty about Alissa joining Arch Enemy - she had such great talent, range, lyrical prowess and just a seemingly infinite potential that I feel is squandered in Arch Enemy.
I've been meaning to look into In Flames for a while, but just hasn't happened yet. Based on your example, not what I'm looking for in this thread either.

It's not the heaviness, and I haven't been much a thrash guy - the vocal style is something I like (I think borrowed from melodic black metal), but in combination with atmosphere of gothic rock/metal.

I tried thinking of other examples such as The Sins of Thy Beloved, but too atmospheric for what I'm looking for; Cradle of Filth seems too fast/extreme, and early Theatre Des Vampire doesn't quite have the exact vocal style either, at least not at once. They've progressed to more a goth rock, so the newer stuff lacks the vocals, but can set the atmosphere, and their older stuff has the vocals, but is a bit too speedy/metal. So close, but not cigar.

Hmm sounds like you're looking for more Doom Metal type stuff. I haven't dabbled too far into Doom because its such a massive genre but you could find something you like in there. But sorry I can't be of more help!

Give this a go, I recommend listening to a good portion before deciding because it changed dynamic a bit:

1 Like

I like it. Not quite what I'm looking for, but I like it. Thanks for trying. In fairness, I might be looking for something too specific.

No problem! Hmm it might just take someone else to answer your question, I am more into the thrash, speed, grind, and death stuff haha. But listening to the stuff you put up its quite interesting to discover some new types of music.

It's a bit different from what you're after, but you may like it nonetheless. (guitars etc kick in after 2 mins)

2 Likes

You're not the only one. There's a few things to note about that though
- War Eternal was written by/for Angela, the new album will probably suit Alissa more seeing as she will be involved with it from the start.
- Vicky is (IMO) doing a great job replacing Alissa, so even if Arch Enemy stays mediocre there's still The Agonist.

I know that, and I am hopefully that they will use her talents, but the skeptic in me says the AE won't let her have that much creative input. AE plays a different genre of music than Alissa's The Agonist, and AE has been around for a very long time.
With Alissa in The Agonist, they were amongst my favorite bands. I don't think Vikcy is bad, and is growing into it quite well, but they aren't the same; I want to like them, but I don't count them amongst my favorites anymore. I just don't think there is any replacement for Alissa.

Yes, on both counts! Thanks! :D