What advice do you have for aspiring Android developers looking to start their journey in mobile app development?`

Hey fellow developers! Whether you’re a seasoned pro or just starting out, let’s share some wisdom with those eager to embark on their journey into Android app development. To kick things off, what advice do you have for aspiring Android developers looking to dive into the world of mobile app development? Share your insights, tips, and perhaps some lessons learned along the way. Let’s build a resourceful thread for the newcomers!

2 Likes

Any plan what you wanna do exactly? ONLY android screw IOS or some cross devices things? It would probably be good to know some of both. (unless you´re just doing this for yourself and don´t plan to work in the field then… you do you).

For just android obviously learn kotlin, get used to android studio. If you already know java and think of starting with java because of it. Don´t bother imo. Learn kotlin it´s much better!

For more cross platform mobile solutions you´ve got things like flutter, react native or ionic (just to name some). Unfortunately, apples IOS tooling is only available on macos. Meaning you do need a mac to be able to compile for IOS even with all of the above. There are cloud options for compiling your code elsewhere if you don´t want to use a mac. But thats why you see lots of mobile devs use macos.

I have no advice at the moment. Just learning myself. I have used a bit of libGDX + java. Not yet played with kotlin, but I’ve heard good things about kotlin

Currently using .NET MAUI (C#) for work. It seems to be a newer framework and has some bugs.

One thing I am currently struggling with is the storage. I’d like to be able to store a file the user can access via file explorer and grab on their PC via USB. like in: /Internal shared storage/Android/data/com.appname.blah/

Right now my files are stuck in: /data/user/0/com.appname.blah/
which is not user accessible (unless rooted)

Looks like getExternalMediaDirs() is deprecated as of API level 30, in favor of MediaStore. I am struggling to navigate the MediaStore documentation as it seems more complex and confusing to use.

User perspective,
Use design that’s consistent with Google’s/Android’s design guides, uniform apps makes a much better impression than something that looks like 2h project dating back to Android 4.0 even if it works perfectly fine.
Bug test, due to the fierce competition make sure your app is in a reaonable working state before releasing it. It’s fine to mark it as alpha/beta, however if the bare basics barely works users are likely to look elsewhere unless they’re die hard fans.

Absolutely! Hey fellow developers! It’s awesome to see this initiative to share insights and wisdom for aspiring Android developers. For those venturing into the world of mobile app development, my advice would be to focus on building a strong foundation in Java or Kotlin, as they are the primary languages for Android development. Leverage the official Android Developer documentation for comprehensive learning, and don’t shy away from exploring local communities like app developers in Boston from Hoff & Mazor for networking and collaboration opportunities. Engage with online forums like Stack Overflow, and continuously experiment with small projects to solidify your understanding. Keep an eye on the latest industry trends, and most importantly, be patient and persistent—learning to code is a journey. Looking forward to hearing more tips from the community! Let’s make this thread a valuable resource for newcomers!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on mobile app development services! In my view, app design is a top priority when creating mobile applications. I’ve come to recognize the significance of branding for my company’s success. Therefore, I sought assistance from branding firms. They aided me in crafting a distinctive logo, designing unique packaging, and refreshing my product’s appearance. As a result, my brand became more recognizable and appealing to customers.