Wendell can you report on Intel 13th gen i5-13600K power consumption for NAS/Server?

@wendell could you include some info on your next video to discuss i5-13600K power consumption for NAS/linux server?

I’m considering going from a i7-12400 to the i5-13600K for a linux 24/7 proxmox server and I am worried about power consumption about going from a TDP locked cpu to an unlocked one and if there’s anything that can be done to mitigate or limit the TDP max (Asrock bios).

Hope you throw something like this on your next video for those non-gamers in my same position

1 Like

You’ll probably need to specify the motherboard, or at least whether it’s consumer or server/workstation motherboard, as ASRock can mean both ASRock and ASRock Rack, and their motherboards have widely different BIOSes :wink:

Practically all consumer BIOSes I’ve heard of recently have an option to lower the power limit of the CPU. As for being concerned if the motherboard can handle the CPU - check the QVL, if it’s there, the VRM can handle the CPU at stock, however high it’ll boost. Worst case, it will just limit the CPU by itself without your intervention.

I’m not sure if it’s the case for 13th gen, but for 12th gen the K SKUs were shipped with quite inflated power limits. TechPowerUp investigated this - you could cut off a fifth of the power limit for 12900K and loose something like three percent performance in heavy MT benchmarks.

As for my personal opinion, if you’re undecided and can wait, why not wait until the non-K SKUs are available, and take a second look then?

2 Likes

Ah true. My board is ASRock B660M PRO RS

I’m not sure if it’s the case for 13th gen, but for 12th gen the K SKUs were shipped with quite inflated power limits.

Interesting. Thanks for the link - I do think Wendell should cover this on his tests / video :slight_smile:

As for my personal opinion, if you’re undecided and can wait, why not wait until the non-K SKUs are available, and take a second look then?

Well I am still within my CPU return window on Amazon and #2 I am doing a road trip and have a microcenter on the way, so I can score a $299 i5-13600K (there’s a $25 off coupon floating around in slickdeals) that could technically make it $275 plus tax. So I want to bite.

Tdp must be unlocked through the motherboard bios settings otherwise it will run it’s stock tdp of 125w

Also just get a non k part when they release if you are worried about it

^^ There’s a thread here that points to a Google sheet with a bunch of different configs.

Wolfgang (who probably has an account somewhere here) mentioned it in his video where he goes to build his own system and explains C states and powertop a little bit along the way; and also goes on to explain how motherboards play a bigger role the CPU

2 Likes

I’d probably say it’s ranging from too high to too f#ing high, I’d probably recommend that you look for an ARM or ATOM based solution as they work well enough and consume fraction of the power.

I’ll leave this here

2 Likes

If 12600 vs 12600k is anything to go by, the 13600 non-k will not have any E-cores. That drastically alters the value proposition (6c12t vs 14c20t).

Supposedly Intel is only.making 1 spin of raptor lake but I don’t know anything for sure

1 Like

Yeah, all is rumor until intel releases it. Still, see no real reason not to go for a 13400 instead if that too has 4 performance cores. That makes the 13600 kinda dumb v 13600K or 13400, no real reason to get that then.

All 13th gen i5’s are going to have at least 6 p-cores and some amount of e-cores, the 13600K (not sure about non-K) is a new architecture but the others are going to be reused 12600K dies that are maybe juiced up just a little.

1 Like

@GigaBusterEXE @wertigon I suggested the same in my first reply. Apparently waiting is a non-option because OP is still within the return window on their current CPU, and once it’s closes the topic is over.

1 Like

In that case go for it dude, you can get creative and disable different types of cores reduce power consumption

Ah right, in that case…

This, I fully support going from 12400 to 13600k. 13600k is the better buy between the 12400 and 13600k, and you can always undervolt or turn E-cores off. The increased performance will offset any powersavings the 12400 would bring you right now.

2 Likes

very interesting. OK the bit in the video about forcing TDP max values and then seeing only a small performance drop at 1/3 of the power of the previous gen intel makes me feel more confident about pulling the trigger and trying this.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.