Weird Windows/SSD Boot issue - Can't boot to USB with the SSD installed?

I’m running into a weird issue.
My friend has a laptop, and for a few weeks she was having weird issues on her laptop where it would randomly crash. Saying something about “Watchdog” on windows.
I tried to fix it while I was hanging out with her, but I couldn’t no matter what I tried, same with her boyfriend who is is also a computer nerd.
So I’ve taken the laptop home, I’m just trying to save data off of the drive at this point.

If I plug the drive into another laptop, it doesn’t boot to USB. It’ll boot to SSD. But I’m assuming it’ll crash the second I try to log in, as per usual. Or as it happened to me, I just couldn’t sign in, the option to wouldn’t load up
If I pull the SSD out, it’ll boot to thumb drive just fine
I haven’t tried in my desktop just yet because I’m lazy and don’t want to tear out my second m.2 drive

The laptop it came out of is a Dell XPS 15 9560 with an i7 7700hq, gtx 1050(ti?) and 32GB of ram
SSD is a SP M.2 PCIe Gen 3 SSD using 3d NAND that is 1tb

Any tips? Any specific settings I should try turning on or off in bios to try to get it to boot to thumb drive?
(The thumb drive is running Ventoy and has Windows 10, 11, Manjaro, and Arch iso on it)
I’ve so far tried in in 2 Thinkpad T14’s and 1 T14s hasn’t worked in any yet.

Have you set the said thumb drive as first boot device in the bios?

F12 during boot to get boot menu?

Tried that
Also tried just booting to it directly

I’ve been able to get to the ventoy boot menu a few random times, but the second I select an iso, it will just hang on “Loading Manjaro…”(what ever else the first line the command line will show when booting manjaro from a thumb drive)

Tried that, it just does nothing from there sometimes
A few times I’ve gotten to the Ventoy menu, but then it just hangs when I try to boot to Linux. Does the same with Windows

And what happens when you disable safe boot?
If you try to boot linux.

Can you try the recovery option from the F12 menu and see if you can repair the windows install?

That’s how I’ve been doing it for the most part of the T14’s. With secure boot enabled, I can’t even get to Ventoy
I was able to boot into linux on the original laptop with secure boot enabled. But I was unable to read the SSD while I was in linux. Didn’t show up on the installer menu or when I went into a command prompt and typed “lsblk”
I did notice when I was enabling and disabling secure boot, it seemed like the BIOS was crashing? That’s the best way I can describe it. I just couldn’t move around or change any settings after changing something to do with secure boot. So I unplugged the SSD, after turning it off, and then it was fine in BIOS again

Yesterday I was able to get Windows to rollback some updates, that’s how we went from no booting to booting at least to the login screen. It was a project and a half just to get to that position.

Safemode still crashed, the only thing that didn’t seem to was when I selected to just boot with cmd. But I don’t have the windows knowledge on how to, if I can, transfer files, or anything like that from the windows command line. I had just hoped that I wouldn’t have to touch the windows command line and could just use the linux one that I’m much more comfortable with.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.