Weird screen issue in my new Windows 8.1 build and I need help

OK so i'm not sure whats going wrong here. This is my first attempt at a computer build. And I am far from a computer expert. So here's my story. I installed windows everything seemed fine. Booted up looked great no problems. So I'm just starting to get into exploring windows 8.1 by changing my screen size and all of a sudden my screen gets all distorted. Here's a pic of the issue http://i60.tinypic.com/21cijcx.jpg I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do about it. At first I thought it might be my drivers so I updated those as best as I could. then I thought maybe it was my aging screen but that's what i'm looking at as I type and it seems to be fine. So now I'm just hoping its not my graphics card. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps this is my build so far.

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card

Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Weird. It almost looks like the screen is broken, but it is so symmetrical that I don't think it would break like that. I can't be sure without being there to look at it though. Do you have another computer that you can hook your screen up to without too much trouble? I'd start by ruling out the monitor as the problem.

Looks like a graphics artifact. Although, whether it's the cables, gpu, or monitor that causing, I have no idea.

Looks like a dead gpu to me. Do you have another monitor to try on it to help troubleshoot?

I sure don't .....a new screen was one of the first things I thought about. My current thought is to try installing Unbuntu and seeing if its a Windows issue or something more on the hardware side. 

Actually the computer I'm typing at right now is hooked up to that screen an there is no problem at all. Now I did hook up the other computer with an HDMI cable and this one is hooked up with an old VGA line but the screen seems fine. My next attempt to fix this is going to be to install Unbuntu to try and rule out a windows issue. At least that was an idea that someone on another forum suggested.

Can you try to use a different output on your graphics card?