Weird FPS lag inside buildings on Skyrim

I am not sure why I am getting FPS lag inside buildings on Skyrim. I have no ENBs installed and very little mods. When I say FPS lag I mean I get a smooth 55 FPS outside in the over world but get around 15 to 20 FPS when staring at objects in the game. such as a fire, or a candle inside a ruin.

I also run the auto video detection system and it sets it to high quality.

I have checked and there in no way to turn off v sync if Skyrim has that.

AMD FX 8350 and AMD R9 290 4 gig version.
http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=D4AC4856-9166-4C37-A7D6-ECDD3EEB4C17&lang=eng

How can I fix this?

I have also tried the console version and have no lag while indoors.

You probably have more than one lighting mod interfering with each other for interior environment.

No lighting mods installed. Only thing I have is the HD texture pack installed from Bethesda.

what is your mod list?

Did you modify shadow resolution through .ini files?

@fredrich_nietze
This all I have.

@Giulianno_D
I have not edited my INI files at all.

Any texture mods specifically for interiors? If so, what resolution are they in?

No mods for interiors. I am not a fan of texture mods for indoors.

Ok, worse case scenario you validated install in steam to repair the game files. I recommend deleting one or two files to make Steam repair the install after it validates.

So uninstall all mods, including SKSE, and run the validation?

Preferably, then save the game where the interior the lag happens. As you install mods, load that save and check the performance on the interior until you finally install the mod that causes the performance drop.

All mods removed, lag still happens. Validated Steam files and one file failed to validate.

Fresh install time?

Use Display Driver Uninstaller to completely remove old files of the gpu driver and install the latest beta drivers from AMD, maybe that'll help.

This tool?
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

1 Like

Still having lag inside buildings. I am going to disable anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering see how the game performs.

This problem has been fixed, @moderators feel free to lock the thread.