Weird AMD/nVidia power saving

Hey all!

So got a weird thing going on with my laptops GPU power saving. Using the old OEM drivers (asus) with the latest build of Win10 21H1 (even long before), when the nVidia goes into power saving and turns off my wattage usage shoots up to -30watts, 3 times what it should be. When the nVidia turns on again it goes back down to -10/-15 watts.

low
High
Left in red is wattage - right three are the nVidia. 0 = off - x = on.

Wondering if this is happening to anyone else… or if anyone has any insight as to why power usage goes up when the dedicated GPU is sleeping.
Seems to me like an AMD driver issue, but not sure why, nor does it report any high wattage usage when the nVidia sleeps.

Idealy, I’d like the nVidia to sleep to save the 5watts on idle, and for the AMD to do what it should with a total system power usage of -10watts, as it was at stock.
May try a format, or asking an Asus bot, but thought it worth asking here first.

EDIT: Sorry, laptop in question is an Asus A15 FX506IV Asus TUF Gaming A15 FX506IV - Notebookcheck.net External Reviews

Seems a “refresh” of the OS has sorted the issue. Now bellow 10 watts of usage with the dedicated going into power save fine. Possibly a power plan issue or some software conflict, i dont know.

Now to spend all day removing all of Win10’s bloatware. Joy!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.