Webcam with good microphones

Most webcam reviews skim over the microphone quality. Anyone know of a reasonably priced one with good sound quality?

What are your expectations?

Main thing is that people can hear me clearly and it doesn’t end up trying to cancel them out like my stupid Dell work laptop does.

I think the problem with the Dell is that it gets feedback from its own speakers.

I got my wife a “Logitech BRIO 4K Pro Webcam” and it works great on MS Windows. No driver install necessary.

sound cancellation works great and works better than the built in mic on my wife’s System 76 Laptop. Captures sound very well in a closed bedroom (12 x 9 x 8.75 ft).

1 Like

Idk what your budget is but I have been using this one during COVID

Haven’t had any complaints about sound and the video is decent enough for a $50 webcam.

2 Likes

Interesting that people are recommending branded ones rather than the more generic but cheaper ones. Maybe worth shelling out.

What were you looking at that isn’t branded? Also, there is a bit of engineering that goes into cameras and microphones. Unless you want to use separate devices for sound and video I think you will have better results with a “branded” device.

Honestly if sound is the only issue maybe you should just get a lapel mic like this:

1 Like

To add to this, discrete devices will always land you better flexibility and control. It also decreases the chances of vendor lock in/out with future upgrades.

I’d be more inclined to separate device for each role, versus a [try-hard] all-inclusive
Better odds in troubleshooting and direct media control(s)
I wouldn’t try helping on video side, as I don’t bother with it… But for a mic-

Have you tried just wearing earbuds so that the webcam doesn’t pick up the sounds from the laptop speakers?

If that’s not an option, I never had complaints about the audio quality of my Logitech C920 webcam. Those are about $80 now.

With that said, I switched to just using a Saramonic SR-XM1 mic plugged into the mic input on my headphone amp/dac. Only because no one at my job uses their webcam during our meetings, so I got tired of having the webcam always on my desk. This is still going to pickup external noises though – I just always wear earbuds when using that mic or when I would use the webcam.

And the only reason I even was doing any of this is because someone said the mic on my Sennheiser PC73X was having some issues.

Saramonic SR-XM1 3.5mm TRS Omnidirectional Mic 4897040886529 | eBay

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.