Web Design questions

Hey friends,

I Am working on making a portfolio website that, will be updated over my life time presumably. Photography , programming and other interest will all live there. I am not amazing at design, but i am working on it and as I grow the website will as well. So the questions I have are, should I do a color scheme. I have everything themed currently in light blue and purple and a few other color/shades. This works well for a the whole clean gaming look, but I am not sure how it would take to the web. The other larger question I have is my domain, online I pretty much only go by Perkelator, should I brand my self as Perkelator or just by my real name, i see a lot of mixed suggestions about this. Also looking for a cheep web host I can pay monthly not sure how long site will be up it is also a school project so I need to keep it up for at least 3 months.

One option to look at is: https://www.squarespace.com/pricing/
This option doesn't really give you much room for full custom web hosting but it works.

Now if you want to host it yourself, are you looking for hosting where the company manages the back end or do you want to do all of that yourself (Getting a Linux VPS and doing all the setup work from bottom up)?

As for domains, it really depends how much you want your real name attached to your net handle. If you look around, you could probably find my real name with my current username easily as I only ever use different usernames for anonymity.
For domain providers, two good ones are NameCheap and Gandi.

not an option for me the project for school has to be done all by me. The server idea would probably get my some extra points if the instructor knows i hosted it myself on a Linux box.

I am debating on witch to do, the website would only be up for a few months as a school project for now and I don't expect much traffic, So I was thinking about hosting off my older laptop(or get a mobo for my fx6350 and use it) and doing it that way, but I not sure how to, if it is relatively easy I would love to. Only concern that way is security scene it would be on my home network and not sure if my ISP would let me.

Will look into both of thos, and not really sure how attached i am to using online name, it seems a bit unprofessional since it is a portfolio to get jobs and what not.

How proficient are you at self-hosted Linux boxes?
A couple of options to consider is DigitalOcean or Linode. I've have decent experiences with both of them.

Which ISP?
As for some security, there are quite a few guides on both the Linode and Digital Ocean blogs about securing a Linux server running Apache. I am also sure this forum can be of some use.

You can also set up Let'sEncrypt for the SSL portion of your site.

If you want to make this 100% personal, try and get yourself a .me domain. Something you could try would be like "FLast.me" (first initial and last name). Depends on how common your name is, you may need to do some variation (I'm fucked in this department since my last name is so common).

I haven't hosted a website before, but I am decent at Linux I think I should be-able to do it, just not sure how well.

Local Telephone company, they just put in fiber so speed would not be an issue and since they are small i could probably work with them on it. I have hosted Minecraft and other games servers a lot in the past with out issues.

and yeah I could look into securing the server and I am sure there are plenty of resources to get it done.

Almost all the domains for my name are open .me .com all open so I should be fine, is .me really more personal. So far what I learned was to always get he highest level domain possible. Why would I go with a .me when I could get .com, I am new to acutaly hosting, have been making websites for school projects for years never have had to host one before.

I was thinking I would use something like host Gator since it would be easy, but not really sure i like the host it my self idea. Just becasue i really enjoy playing with linux and would be nice to know how to do

Check if they have an FAQ or forum regarding self-hosted shit, otherwise it may be best not to notify them if it is a temporary project (Depends on how much they are willing to snoop).

.com is short for commercial, I prefer .net, .me, or .ca/us.

called talked to a tech support guy, said it was fine. They don't really care that much from what he said.

Ahh been a while since I have taken web classes, may go with a .me then thanks for that would have had a commercial website for my self, would look really bad for a programmer(/web developer) to not know that :smile:

A post was split to a new topic: Webdesign Questions