Web browser recomendation(s)

Not sure where to post this so if in the wrong section please let me know or move it!

So I’ve started seeing the popup from google that ad blockers are not allowed on youtube. I understand and not complaining about the need for ads but it seems there is just more and more ads being shoved in my face to the point it seem that a 10 minute video is 8 minute of ads and 2 minutes of content.

With that said I am currently using Vivaldi on windows as my browser of choice. Is there a better solution other than Firefox? The little digging I’ve done suggests no on windows.

I’ve installed Firefox and it seem to be a BIG step backwards in the way of ui / functionality. Biggest thing so far is the lack of a speed dial page or the ability to tweak more than a few setting under the hood to make it feel customized to my liking.

1 Like

I use Brave + uBlock Origin and have no issues with YouTube. But, some people don’t like Brave so I am also open to opinions

I tried Firefox and just had too many usability issues

1 Like

I second ublock origin - I’ve had it for a few months and have love it. I also use Firefox and the dev version. I find them pretty stable for my use cases.

Brave+ublock+pihole

1 Like

I do use ublock so I’m not sure what’s going on. Just to be clear it’s only been on a couple of videos sofar. I rather have moved on before it gets to be to much of a problem or I get banned for it.

For me I’m not sold on firefox’s user interface. Feels like it’s back in the late 90’s early 2000s.

I tried pihole a few years ago but wasn’t working quite as well as ublock. Will have to revisit to see if it’s improved since. Not sure if it can handle my new internet connection 2Gbps up/down.

You do know the advanced about:config in firefox, correct?

You could try Opera GX. It is pretty.

1 Like

No, need to use some weird custom browser.
Firefox and uBlock Origin goes a very long way, as for Youtube see Instances · TeamPiped/Piped Wiki · GitHub

As others have mentioned about:config and user.js lets you change most stuff but usually it’s not worth messing around with the latter much.

2 Likes

Just use brave and make a profile just for watching youtube video. In that profile, do nothing else.

1 Like

I was not aware of this. I will check it out Thank you!

1 Like

I use Brave, I totally recommend it, the best thing is that you pay small amounts for allowing them to put advertising on your screen, which is non-invasive advertising, so you shouldn’t be scared, it feels like knowing that at the end of the month having a little extra money

I use Firefox with uBlock. So far I’ve been impressed with Fire Fox and the control I have in it. Brave is not a bad option, but still within the chromium family so I wouldn’t be shocked if google began focusing on browsers based off of it next.

I usually recommend FF but if you don’t like it… :wink:

I’ve been using firefox for years and don’t plan to change anytime soon. I use both regular and esr and they don’t cause stability problems for me, both on x86 win/lin and arm linux.

In addition, I have: ClearURLs, Disconnect, enhanced-h264ify, Forget Me Not - Forget cookies & other data, NoScript, Privacy Badger, YouTube High Definition, Tampermonkey +
Simple YouTube Age Restriction Bypass, uBlock Origin + any available list. FF - Browser Privacy / Strict.

I don’t see any pop-ups or ads…

5 Likes

Just an fyi … The pop up is from youtube and thus google stating that ad blockers are not allowed on youtube disable your ad blocker(s) or pay for youtube premium!

We are aware of this, they introduced it recently. :wink:

The case is solved by ublock origin, which still blocks the ad and deals with this info/block.

Example, Firefox 116.0.2 64bit/Windows + uBlock Origin 1.51.0 with all available blocklists with/without youtube account. Based on this video… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSaxcnpNV-4 I don’t get any adblock warning/information, and there are no ads either. Clear and effortless playback…

1 Like

…or you do Piped if you’re paranoid :wink:

Using one of several frontends for youtube is also an option… it’s a matter of what you prefer. :wink:

Another option is building a NAS with a few hundred terabytes of storage and archiving every video and channel you ever watch with yt-dlp.

… Just throwing that out there. :+1:

6 Likes

Or just pay for YouTube Premium. There is no free lunch.

1 Like

Well I may have jumpped the gun a bit… I think ublock got updated and now I’m not seeing the popup.

I am sorry. If any of the mod feel like this thread should be deleted by all means do so!

I’ve got the other two front ends for yt bookmarked. Thank you @diizzy for those.

@Log I’d love to do the big nas but cost per drive for storage is what stopping me at the moment!

@qtwork I understan that there is no free lunch but if I pay for everyone elses lunch I’d have no money for my lunch or other bills and since no one is paying for my lunch the free model that google started out with youtube is all i’m going to consume for the time being!

Thank you all for the suggestions and help!

1 Like

The overtime and over budget solution.

I love it.

2 Likes