We lost Munich but gained Barcelona

They are planning to replace all of their current programs with open-source alternatives not just windose.
At least someone is trying…

13 Likes

At least they are going with a mainstream distro, rather than rolling their own

5 Likes

Why not, worked for Kuba

This should be good. Can’t wait to see the JB coverage of this.

Sounds good, hope it works out.
Do any cities use MacOS or Chrome OS?

I think main issue is still drivers and things like those signature pads or what not.

Interesting. Hopefully they put a lot more thought and effort into this migration than Munich did.

Munich City officials could waste €100m reversing a 15-year process that replaced proprietary software with open source following an official vote last year.

Holy balls, dude. That’s a legendary screw up. People think the U.S. government is incompetent?

Anyway, looks like a cool project. On the outside, they appear to actually care about the benefits versus just saving money.

We’ll see how far they get. Hopefully they do a great job planning and implementing.

Anything software related in Germany goes to shit at some point. That is just how it is.

1 Like

MacOS, yes. ChromeOS probably not.

1 Like

Yeah, anything computer or internet related really. We are stuck with DSL for the most part, government is hard at work to spy on everyone and then Munich… just a few examples. I’m just waiting for some old fuck talking about violence in videogames again.

Shaefer (SSI), is the entity my company used to construct the warehouse. SSI was in charge of the automation software and such. These fuckers were upset that we are pushing them to retire the windows 2000 server.

Rage mode activated.
Ich könnte hier vor Wut an die decke gehen.

:rage:

First off it was a mistake for them to use a customised version of Ubuntu (it lagged years behind) instead of using an LTS release as they should. So support has always been a mess.
Even their libre office version was ancient.

This wiki is accurate BTW

Last version 2014

But now to go back to Windows 10 AND Microsoft Office is IDIOTIC, particularly when they haven’t even properly implemented this prior project.

And this speaks volumes, they are unwilling to do this correctly and are instead merely outsourcing their responsibility to microsoft hook line and sinker.

The ongoing costs for this MS transition aren’t even included in this article and are going to mount up to even more.

No No. I must remain calm. :smile:

1 Like

Sounds like the project manager for that place needs to be hung and quartered.

1 Like

… then buried with his $millions of Microsoft back-handers?

Or was that someone like the mayor

But why? Germany should have the world’s best engineers. In my country something like this will not happen because nobody gives a fuck about libre software. They don’t care about software in general. Lot of people still run Win XP thinking why change it when it’s still works. We are not technologically behind it’s just these things go completely over people’s heads.

I don´t understand it either. Big projects in general never work here. But software is a disaster no matter what.

We totally do but unfortunately they don’t do politics…

3 Likes

Pretty sure Kuba is still under communism and sale of foreign products is not allowed. Hence everyone is using free/oss software. It’s interesting when i was looking up global market share of Firefox the only country that had the same colour as Firefox data point was Kuba.

You do have CCC though…that is something.

1 Like

Isn’t this exactly why Red Hat, Cannonical, and SUSE exist?
If they are willing to shell out for Windows Enterprise, why didn’t they bother to use a distro with enterprise support??

2 Likes