This is complete nonsense, im not involved in development nor paying for it. My choices have literally zero effect.
Irrelevant to my point, which was that the libraries are still available as packages 20+ years after release. Hence gtk3 will probably last a similar lenght of time.
Oh yeah i cannot use linux without plasma or gnome
Year of the Wayland desktop was 2018 for me people keep claiming it does not work, yet there i was using it at work and home without issue. Our older work apps worked in xwayland no problem and everything was fine.
These days it is just Discord and Steam that even cause xWayland to need to be used on my machine and soon those are going to be fixed.
My argument is that you can have Wayland and portals, you just need to get there by making a series of incremental patches to Xorg. This way we get to where we are going, but there is no “accidentally” abandoning anything along the way. The current plan for Wayland was to start by abandoning even the Baby and this is where I lose all respect for the Wayland model.
Question, did session restore work for you? If not, why is it you would nevertheless consider your experience to be ^^^. Read the OP, I clearly go through that we all know you didn’t test everything and even if you had working once(or any number of times) for you is not the same as being ^^^.
First, it doesn’t matter to me what things were designed for it only matters what they can do. Really important though is that the design and what exists decades later are not the same thing. It’s not the gotcha you think it is to have issue with a program written in the 80s or whatever, again it only matters what issues the application that exists in 2026 has. And that application is called Xlibre, not Xorg.
Here again, it doesn’t matter what’s under the surface or the hood. If it does the tasks I assign to it, I’m golden.
Exactly, it’s a non issue because the current Xlibre works great with just the shader driven 3d pipeline.
Agreed, if only the bathwater was thrown out I’d have no argument. My argument is I can’t find the Baby in Wayland.
Yeah. No. That’s like saying “You can drive a car by land from Los Angeles to Rio de Janeiro. You just need to get there by making a series of pit stops to sleep and eat.”
Then you have a Map of how to get from Xlibre to Wayland? I do, my question is do you.
I can also get a map for the places you are talking about, Gap included.
Edit: This is what I’m talking about, not being able to navigate a difficult path is just a SKILL ISSUE. It proves these “experts” have no idea what they are talking about.
I would argue it’s a political issue. The objective of the project was never to build a UI base framework that enabled app developers and to provide what end users need.
It was to enable the mess of lots of competing components to continue to compete, just in an updated framework. X took many, many years to reach, usable. It’s no shock that taking the same approach with a replacement is producing the same result.
Wayland solved a lot of hard problem, just many of them like re-inventing window placement in a way that fundamentally incompatible with every other major OS out there was a problem that was best not solved.
The failure was not making “app developer friendly” and “stable and functional for end users” a priority over “20 competing implementations with extensions”.
I thought we already established that these functions are being patched in via xdg_dialog.
It was actually included as part of Waylands 1.34 release in March 2024.
Compositors like KDE (kwin) and Gnome (mutter) have supported it since ~mid 2024.
It was integrated into Qt with version 6.8 in October/November 2024, and KDE Plasma has been using it since release 6.2 at about that same time.
For Jetbrains to use it, we are thus now waiting for the WLToolkit to be patched, and once it is, JetBrains can rewrite their code to support it.
So at this point, it is really a WLToolkit/Jetbrains problem, because the solution has been implemented upstream for like a year and a half now.
From what I understand JetBrains depends on WLToolkit. The WLToolkit code to support xdg_dialog has apparently already been written and it is in testing, and is targeting a late 2026 release.
Apparently there is already an early access (EAP) release of JetBrains with support (2026.1 EAP) so it is probably going to release at the same time as the WLToolkit release in late 2026.
No, you are off by years. It was in development for a long while but not really merged until just a couple of months ago. Are you just using AI searches or something to find your info?
I don’t want do a deep dive on all the ways your post was misleading so I will just link this. You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how development works. Some piece of code being merged is not the same as, done, or complete.
Also note, it’s still experimental. Most developers won’t use an experimental API because it’s likely to change, or just go away (unlikely in this case).
I googled a support version list. Can’t remember where it was, and then tried to trace the minimum supported versions back to their actual release, which isn’t always super easy.
But Wayland protocol v 1.34 (not to be confused with the version of the Wayland package) should include xdg_dialog support, and from my googling it looks like that revision released in March 2024.
Ok, So you are just typing into google and posting stuff here. Why?
1: Why are you talking about xdg_dialog? The primary thing which was planned to be used for window positioning is different. I’m not sure who “we” is in this context, based on a quick search (of this thread) you are the only one talking about this. This was linked multiple times, the actual dev discussion about the actual thing, with the actual timeline.
2: Why would you trust a google search over actual statements from actual developers like the jetbrains team and the wacom team, or the Wayland team themselves? I and others have been posting actual links to the relevant discussions and information.
3: It’s ok to not know things, trying to fake it using google, among others that do actually know things is usually not received well. Just ask and/or read/watch the various info provided.
Actually I hope not, or I’m conflicted. Take the recent corporate consignment franchise, you know the one, The guy got one “influencer” to listen and take action. This is a horrible way to do things, because it’s not something available to everyone and the solution to these kinds of issues needs to be or there is no liberty. If going viral is the way issues are solved, everyone is F-ed.
Edit: my conflict is that if it solves one issue, I am happy about that. “Good job everyone” would be my response.
Try not to look at issues as an individual. It would be impossible to keep them all straight. What we are highlighting is that we have example issues, I think there are 3 or 4. Like I said keeping them all straight would be hard and saying “one” isn’t actually an issue doesn’t do anything but take 3 to 4 and change that to 2 to 3. It’s not the kind of WIN I’d want to waste any time debating.
This is the language of someone that wants to change the meaning of something by changing the label. I’ll define the issue as I previously described and defined but instead of calling it a real problem I’ll just use the term political issue. You still have the same ground to defend, you are not defending against a political issue you are defending against the idea I once called a real problem. It’s the same idea either way.
Yeah, I know that’s what I said the results of failure for decades were easily predictable. What I said was taking on a 50 year project to avoid working on a 30 year old one is not a move an expert would make.
I disagree, I think it’s a simple issue that’s been solved a few dozen times and not understanding that is called a skill issue.
Lol. Linus is a sales guy. Pretty and charming on camera, but limited technical knowledge and understanding even after doing this for years. I wouldn’t count on it.