Watercooling advice

I got it from EK, and it is just four mounting screws, slightly higher. I could just use my AM4 with 4 raisers.

The die in Ryzen CPUs are located on the lower part of the IHS, so on some cooling systems, an offset mounting/specific orientation is needed to shift the heatsink down to the hotspot. See der8auer’s bracket mount page, though this is for AM4.

I’m not aware of a non-AIO waterblock that does this, however. EK’s block also doesn’t do anything special about the die location (see EK-Quantum AM5 PDF).

Also, if you’ll be installing a new radiator, I highly recommend adding a coolant temperature sensor. It’ll help quite a bit in measuring loop performance. If your M/B doesn’t have sensor-in, you may need an external fan controller, though. (Corsair Commander Pro (not Core XT) has hwmon support since 5.9, and Aquacomputer Quadro has hwmon support since 6.0)

1 Like

der8auer and GN have a new video up addressing the thermal issue with AMD. I would check this out too.

It should be fine then the die are in the same place as am4.

With the way it boosts that CPU will always be hot (basically always hitting its temp limit before power limit). So you could set the power limit lower if you don’t want it dumping loads of extra heat into the loop for minimal performance gains. Or even lower the temp limit if that’s what you are worried about and it will give you the max power/performance your cooling can give you at whatever temp you set.

And offset mounting is probably only gong to make a 3-5c difference. Which will just get taken back up by higher power because of the boosting behaviour.

Yesterday and after I collected all the parts I needed, I had time to make changes to my watercooling.

I ended up with this setup:

Pump > Tank > 3x120mm Radiator > CPU > 3x120mm Radiator > VGA > Filter

These are my temps with the old cooling

These are my temps now

I think it worth my time and efforts.

2 Likes

You could try to undervolt it slightly.
In MSI BIOS the path is:
OC Settings
Advanced CPU Configuration
AMD Overclocking
there set Precision Boost Overdrive to “Advanced”
set PBO Limits to disable
then to Curve Optimizer
there set Curve Optimizer sign to “Negative” and
Curve Optimizer Magnitude to something between 1 and 30
every step of magnitude equals 3mV-5mV depending on load

credits to OptimumHardware

I am also looking for some water cooling advice, I am building a dual cpu dual gpu system, my concern is if a single D5 pump can take on the load of pumping through 4 blocks or if I should get 2 pumps or maybe a DDC? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Disclaimer, I am not responsible for any damages you may incur

a D5 is more likely to handle that than any DDC i know of. one build i did was a D5 based res/pump combo into a threadripper with 2 3090’s and 2 560(4x140mm)radiators.

As long as they aren’t restrictive blocks a D5 should be fine. I’d certainly recommend it only a single DDC.

Going to need a lot of radiator for that much hardware though, so worst case you can always get a second D5 and pair them as a dual-pump if not.