Water Cooling, custom loop in a 4U Silver Stone RM41-506?

In a couple of Level1Techs build videos, I think I’ve heard off hand references to mounting a three fan radiator in Silver Stone 4U cases. But I haven’t actually been able to find any video or pictures showing where and how this is done.

Any pointers or links would be appreciated.

I’m building a new rack mounted system in a Silver Stone RM41-506 case, in large part because I want a number of hot swap spinning disks for easy offline and offsite backups. With only a couple 80mm fans, the airflow probably isn’t going to be that great. I have several years of experience building and working with custom water loops for cooling lasers (including multi kilowatt lasers). Water loops can be super easy if you know where on McMaster Carr to look for the right push-lock parts. So I’m thinking that I might give a custom water loop a try.

oof that is not a very deep case. I 3d printed some L shaped holders with 120mm fan holes so I can mount both the 360mm rad and 3x fans in my case.

Are you using the Drive cages? If not remove them and then you have plenty of room, if so maybe you can create a custom mount that brings it above the motherboard but still gives you room to plug in drives…

Can order but need to email sales

What I would go with if your going to WC and its not to late to return that case.

What all are you cooling in the custom loop?

@mutation666 Looks like some really cool cases. Too bad they are shut down for a move and not currently taking orders?

1 Like

The front accessible drive cages are one of the main features I’m after for this PC. It’s an upgrade from an old HP-Proliant DL380 G5 that I picked up used five or six years ago. I’ve really liked the hot swappable RAID and want something similar (but ZFS based) in the new box.

I got the case in and the computer built, though I’ve currently got just a AMD Wraith Max CPU heat sink installed at the moment. So no crazy overclocking. (Yet?)
It looks like I might be able to fit a two fan radiator between right + center drive cages and the memory (center) and PSU (right). Though I may need to get creative with some cable routing.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.