Watchdog ping to reset a port on POE router?

I’m looking to get a router for my workplace that has POE out and can either reboot when a watchdog ping fails, or ideally cut power to a port when the watchdog ping fails.

Background: my boss has wireless Internet and we connect through a ubiquity AP on top of her house. We have a router with PPOE to connect to the local tower through the ubiquity AP. Unfortunately it goes wonky occasionally and needs to be powered off to reconnect the internet. I’m hoping a microtik hex poe router could do this via a watchdog ping. But I am open to any other brand, as long as the price is right.

Anyone know if this is possible?

In time, I will probably have to replace the AP on top the house, since it has been exposed to the elements for 8 years or more. But I would still like to have the watchdog ping on the router even if I have to replace the AP on the roof.

I’ve looked into this multiple times and found UniFi’s unwillingness to let people automate this- one option is to have a script on your switch that can be called via ssh, but the easiest I’ve found is a Sonoff or similar smart plug to toggle power for a standalone PoE injector. Turn off the injector power, it turns off PoE to your AP.

Many of the devices are easily scripted, but a Sonoff flashed with Tasmota seems to be the clear winner for me.

1 Like

+1 for Sonoff…

1 Like