WASD 0015: The Best Music (Original Score) In a Game | Tek Syndicate

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://teksyndicate.com/videos/wasd-0015-best-music-original-score-game

Discussion Question: What is the most mind-bending game that you've ever played and why?

No minecraft soundtrack?

In all seriousness Frank Klepacki is a brilliant composer, I really like the Dune 2000 soundtrack.

1 Like

Most mind-bending game that intentionally messes with you? Why that would have to be The Stanley Parable.

Self referential, 4th wall breaks, multiple paths & endings, must be experienced.

3 Likes

The most mind bending for me was Antichamber

Best mind-bending game. I don't play many overtly trippy ones.

FEAR was really good.
And I liked in the first 2 Dead Space games that you were actually going insane.
And Amnesia takes that to the next level.

This is the best that I can think of: Mafia Soundtrack

1 Like

Great topic! I'll just leave my picks here. First the Tetris theme, based on a 19th century Russian folk music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmCCQxVBfyM

It's impossible to forget, it burns itself into you brain :)

The Tristram theme from Diablo, and the Urzael bossfight music from D3, both fantastic imho (i just feel myself "there"):

The main menu theme from Red Alert 2, epic asskicking Grinder:

And some car racing electonic awesomeness, I just love the '90-s:

And of course the Super Mario pieces, pretty much all of them :) I have some more, but these are the most beloved ones.

The Stanley Parable was the first thing that came to mind, a bit of a mind fuck till you realise what's actually going on.

1 Like

Neo Tokyo

Never-ending nightmare. Some parts of dream fall the longest journey were pretty suspenseful.
As for mind-bending, some of the fez puzzles just left me stearing at the screen going 'wow.. '

AntiChamber.

I remember Sam and Max hit the road as one of the weirdest games I've ever played. Nothing made any sense!!
Fun to play though :)

Most mind bending games I have played that weren't meant to bend my mind:

Bioshock Infinite

Singularity

Life Is Strange

as you can tell, alternative universes and timelines really bend my mind and I love it.

1 Like

Most mind-bending:
I'm not sure, should we exclude the ultra-obvious AntiChamber, and probably FEZ, Braid, Portal, SpaceChem, Stanley Parable, Beginner's Guide and many games that mess with time and space this way or another...
Maybe I'd mention less obvious "Devil's Tuning Fork", "Slower Speed of Light", "Perspective"...

1 Like

I thought Bioshock Infinite was rather mind blowing. Awesome story and setting.

Xenon 2 by David Whittaker

I am honored that @Logan mentioned the Interstate '76 soundtrack, however I think he made a minor mistake. Interstate '76 is not Rock & Roll, it is Anti-Rock = Disco Funk. I can't think of any other game has used the dreaded Disco as an effective theme.

Another one I forgot about was the music in FarCry 3 when you had to burn down the pot farm. I lot of times I would turn off the music in games, but someone told me that music was awesome, so I went back on my save just to listen to it. Unfortunately the level was really hard and I had to listen to Skrillex like 10 times. Pure torture and I couldn't wait for the madness to end. That made me crazier than usual, but it was the perfect music for the situation.

As for Mind Fuck games, I never played it but Seaman for Dreamcast is mega weird.

• Stanley Parable

I somehow made it to Minecraft while playing this...

• Bioshock Infinite

That ending blew my mind.

1 Like

I randomly stopped the video to step outside and when i returned, this is what I saw, WASD summoning the game deities.

5 Likes

Bioshock Infinite - just plain awesome mindf*ck :)