WARNING! . Incoming broken windows updates for windows 10

deleted post and topic.

4 Likes

Anecdotally I have updated two dozen Windows 10 VMs and half a dozen Windows 10 and Windows Server 2022 hosts today, and none have thrown this error.

Perhaps itā€™s something to do with your system configuration? You could try an sfc /scannow.

2 Likes

I had a VM I used for reference (just migrated to a new machine), and it auto-applied the latest update and BSODed on reboot. Not happy.

1 Like

Works fine on multiple boxes here too

1 Like

already did mate.
ran dism also.

which was the advice i found for that particular errorā€¦

installed it again after and it broke againā€¦
so might be my install config.
but ive not blocked any updates previous so i shouldnā€™t be missing a dependencyā€¦

anyways im still looking. :slight_smile:

I would try startup repair. Can get there via Troubleshoot > Advanced options in settings menu.

I didnā€™t have this problemā€¦ The only update from 11/10 that I saw was KB5031356, it installed correctly and reboot/boot and worked without any anomalies.

W10 22H2 64bit

It is also a good idea to disable all additional security programs during installationā€¦ sometimes sandbox/hips can block something.

PS
Maybe you can clean the sys using Wise Registry Cleaner / CCleaner.

1 Like

same version.

but as you can see i get an error.

when i first installed it i got a popup saying we have added search to your systemā€¦ keep it yes or noā€¦
i clicked noā€¦
then i went to user privacy thinking what else has it changedā€¦ and immediately got the error.
anyways i found an optional update that might be whats missing. so gonna try that and try updating againā€¦

1 Like

Huh.
That may explain what I saw at work on three machines.

2 Likes

looks like its a service dependency rather than missing an update.
i tried adding the manual download. same issue.

so now im looking to see if its a service i disabled to stop telemetryā€¦
:frowning:

I have everything turned off that can turn off O&O ShutUp10++, unless you have something more tweaked in the OSā€¦

You can also try to uninstall, letā€™s say, all updates from the last 2/3 months one by one from the newest ones, then clean the sys and update againā€¦

At that point, a reformat may be quicker, assuming all you do is game in Win10?

ā€¦or just use decrapifier and youā€™ll be fine. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Slightly related, slightly tangential, Iā€™ve wondered for a while now if there was some tool that comprehensively evaluate the differences between two windows machines that Iā€™m not aware of. Not just a simple binary diff of system files, but also doing things like exporting the registry (and other system management stuff) and then diffā€™ing.

I find it amusing and frustrating how generally administrators (who are paid to lock down business installs) tend to have much less ā€œthis update fucked everything upā€ issues, by virtue of the user being unable to use the OS for anything except excel and a browser. Meanwhile everyone else gets a random mix of getting fucked and ā€œIt works on my machine :slight_smile:ā€), and the solution is often a complete reinstall to get back to a ā€œgold referenceā€ state. And thatā€™s before getting into windows hating your particular hardware and drivers (another plus for VMs, and the admins that are more likely to use them)

Thereā€™s gotta be a way to more easily bisect an issue to figure out what the root cause of a problem is, but doing so intelligently seems like it would require a program that can handle some very complex context to give useful information to a user.

I suppose another question would be, when installing random programs/drivers, do the tools that allow for remote administration of a windows OS provide a kind of silent protection against frivolous and incompetent system changes that would otherwise be successful, while the program continues to work anyways, because the changes werenā€™t even necessary?

All that being said, Iā€™ve never had an issue directly after installing a program or driver. Itā€™s always after a windows update that something then breaks. Which is curious but not entirely unexpected. The problem is, Iā€™ve never had removing an update fix the problem, even after wrestling to turn off windowā€™s automatically reinstalling it. It would be interesting to evaluate how ā€œdeterministicā€ windows actually is. I may try it myself, make a clone of a windows vm, install/uninstall an update and see if the important things are identical.

2 Likes

This is why you install Windows in a VM and store the images on a modern filesystem with snapshots. If an update breaks it I can just kill destroy the virtual machine and zfs rollback storage/vm/windows@yesterday.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I normally do these days, though I have windows-to-go install on a usb SSD enclosure primarily meant for plugging into arbitrarily machines and testing/benchmarking, with also some light use for games that linux canā€™t handle (which is thankfully less and less every year). Somehow had something go wrong with the sound in regards to this drive and my lenovo legion laptop. Basically changing the volume or seeking in a video would randomly cause something to stop working and subsequently freeze programs that try to make sound and are waiting for a response. Of course this happened after an update and a reboot, long after I had everything set up.

Whatā€™s crazy is, not only did undoing the update not fix it (expected), but reverting to backup didnā€™t fix it either. I think there may gave been a bios update for the machine applied as well thatā€™s playing into it, which I also tried reverting with no change. Of course I also looked into different versions of the sound and gpu drivers as well. I even chanted the ancient hindi scannow/dism/chkdisk incantations for good luck.

What did fix it was a reinstall. Iā€™m not surprised, but I am absolutely baffled of what to make of it logically.

Linux distros work fine (if you ignore the whole nvidia driver thing.)

and like a BOSS!. i killed it :frowning:
did a clean boot. no changeā€¦
opened services and went to enable the 10 or so services i had disabled previouslyā€¦
and was greeted with about 100 entries disabled. everything from windows update through to servises i never saw.
anyways i enabled a fewā€¦ rebooted and bsod.
again rebootā€¦ bsodā€¦
repair install kicked inā€¦
bsod.
reset pc locallyā€¦ 43%, bsodā€¦
reset pc completley (keeps data)ā€¦ got a bit annoying arounf 68% but 10 or so mins laterā€¦
we are getting your pc ready :frowning:
we have some updatesā€¦
welcomeā€¦

ah! fk i gotta declutter windows. :frowning:

so solved, but not solved :frowning:

Is it really faster to do this than a reformat ā†’ run your favorite debloating script ā†’ restore files from backup?

no idea. have never used a scriptā€¦
most of the blocking i did was via sheduled tasks, group policy, hosts, fire wall and services.
then remove the bloat via the ps console.

it was working well enough till it wasnt :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fwiw:

These 2 are / were a couple of tools iā€™ve used to remove / restrict windows / windows apps from a new windows install.