WARNING: Don't play Battleye Multiplayer games in a VM. You could be banned. (Rainbow Six is a definite ban)

More evidence to support it’s an outright ban (for Rainbow Six)

This is why I dual boot it isn’t worth the hoops to jump through.

Not comfortable with Dual Boot if I can’t control the packets unless I buy another firewall or have another system with pfsense piggybacking physically with the system to prevent MS Telemetry.

/shrug

If you just use it for vidya not sure what useful info you would be giving besides you like rainbow six

My brother likes it. I’m frustrated another of my brother’s games has gone bullshit.

If your brother doesn’t care just put him on Wondows and not worry about it.

And have another network headache with telemetry?

*sigh* forget it. I can’t win.

Telemetry that targets him, not you. My brother installed Valorant, he knows how much I dislike its anti-cheat. Nothing I can do, it is “his” choice, not mine.

Does it affect me? Nope.

Because it doesn’t affect me, but him only, why should I be caring, sure I can get irritated, but that is my own issue to deal with.

Its your brother’s machine, who cares? I don’t put linux on my wife’s machine MS can have her data for all I give a shit.

i mean, if you didn’t specified a didecated Vlan with no access to anything else than the internet for your brother … it does affect you.
And that is exactly what @FurryJackman don’t want to deal with.

Microsoft telemetry does scan the network, and god know how much. I hop you use ecrypted dns and never go on http website…

Plus they scan the bluetooth and wifi wireless. It only take your brother to have a wifi card and windows, and now you can be located to the meter.
Then you add the fact that all your wifi device (like phone, laptop, tablet…) have a fun-to-trace MAC that are also gathered …

you never allow tracking “just a bit”

1 Like

At this level of paranoia, I may as well stop using computers all together. My phone is as much a tracking device as my PC if you want to delve this deep.

My anti-virus does network scans, I may as well not use any software with a scan functionality unless I can 100% control all of its traffic from going out, but doing so would break the software.

Privacy policies do exists, and I do read them to an extent. If you can’t trust a company as far as their privacy policy, you can’t trust any company at all, which means the rabbit hole only goes further, there will always be trade-offs, it just depends on how far you’re willing to go.

3 Likes

It’s why I am planning to only allow networking for my Win10 VMs through a separate pfsense VM with firewall rules for the telemetry. A friend banned use of Windows 10 on their private network and their guest network is basically token based so users don’t enter a WPA password. He’s going as far as if anyone historically had the password and was dumb enough to share it with people, that they changed all the private network passwords and forced guests with Win10 PCs to use the token system, where they printed credentials that are only good for one use for the guest network, and you login like any public network.

This is on your families home network?

I’m planning the 10 VM and pfsense VM setup wherever I go. I need to be responsible not to create my own MS telemetry tracks for systems I own. My friend is responsible for not making tracks for his private network and to separate that to a guest network using login tokens.

Whats that got to do with your brother?

The context was @vlycop’s post. I was responding to him about my own ways of getting around it.

Anyways, that was a losing argument about my brother anyways so I concede defeat on that logic.

1 Like

Yeah. It’s unfortunate these days you just can’t get away from telemetry unless you’re system is an always offline one. Seems to be the nature of things.

For single player games, I prefer DRM-free or something with an Offline Mode if it’s something DXVK has trouble with, like Unreal Engine 4.

I’m playing PUBG just fine using my kvm.
Guess I’m lucky in that regard?