Warning: Don't buy AlphaCool radiators, their QA/QC is bad

Hi,

I hope you can tolerate a little ranty spamming, I need to vent after an annoying week thanks to the quality of an Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta Full Copper 400mm radiator. A second unit showed the same issues.

The watercooling issues luckily “only” damaged a bit of the room, no electronics.

1. Shit happens, a Koolance QD3-MSG4 quick disconnect coupling became a little leaky (the part itself, where the threaded part and the male connector part are fitted together), no dramatic leak but needed to be fixed:

1. I then had the great idea to this time around “properly leak-test” the changed configuration with an EK Leak tester, it goes up to 1 bar, the radiator’s manufacturer claims they are leak-tested up to 1.5 bar, everything was fine at first and I used the system again.

2. After a few thermal cycles a few days later there was a puddle underneath the system.

What I didn’t notice: The air pressure from the leak tester was enough that the flat side on the back end of the radiator became a convex curve and unluckily derformed the threads of another port.

That port is now so messed up that even with a lot of Teflon tape around the plug it’s still massively leaky:

1. I then checked a spare unit of the radiator and that deformation already happens around 0.5 bar pressure, so the manufacturer is full of shit claiming that each unit is pressure-tested at 1.5 bar. That means that even if the manufacturer states that, oooh weee, we count the atmospheric pressure in the environment as the 1.0 bar baseline so you damaged your first unit with 2.0 bar absolute pressure they are still full of it.

Pretty pissed about that.

Performance-wise I really like that radiator otherwise since with two SilverStone AP183 fans the cooling can be done silently even under full CPU+GPU load.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.