WAN on pfsense not populating

I have no idea what I’m doing here I’m just following a guide on YouTube, network chuck. I did buy a protectli that works currently I unplugged it but now I am trying to install pfsense on an old dell and wan is not showing up please help :frowning:

All I have done is rebooted my router and pfsense machine and still nothing

Is the pfsense your main firewall or is this being served an internal ip by your main router?

In the later case make sure that the setting to block bogon network is unchecked for Wan otherwise you won’t get networking.

1 Like

I believe internal, the goal is keep regular network, and then make a 2nd network, eventually 3/4 networks with all but one being pfsense

I turned off both in that menu section and rebooted my pfsense and still nothing

I’m dealing with a similar issue as you - I’m in the process of configuring an Unifi Dream Machine SE. Like you, I have a particular outcome in mind. Can I ask you a couple of questions? Firstly, how are you linking the Dell and the router? Secondly, what is the brand and model of your router? My third question If English isn’t your first language, can you understand English

@Bigvpnguy I think your issue is either the Router isn’t passing the packet to the Dell machine (which is the issue I am having with installing my second network.) or a lousy install of pfsense on the Dell. To fix the packet issue, you must set up port forwarding on your Router to pass your packet’s to the Dell Machine. Since I don’t lnow the make or model number of your touter, I can’t give any advice on how to set it up.

If you mean to say your WAN interface is not showing up this probably means it is not assigned. See Interfaces → Assignments in the web interface.

This is odd because the first two interfaces detected should have been assigned WAN and LAN names by default.
It could mean that pfsense is not automatically detecting the NICs in your Dell Server. Can you tell us what they are?

Apologies for the late reply i have attached the router and network card, I do have another spare tp link card as well, and 4 4 port intel cards but I am trying to save them however I am willing to bite the bullet and install on this dell