Waited 5 Years. No Boot

Ive been rocking a 1600x for 5 years waiting for AMD to evolve to the next platform.
I falsely assumed a simple parts swap could work but the system is not booting.
Perhaps the new motherboard does not support MBR for boot drives.
I’m assuming I would have to rebuild the old hardware to format the OS into GPT.
Honestly I’m not sure what to do.
Its critical that the data is kept intact so a new windows install is not an option.
Yes the motherboards bios is up to date and Ive played with the only option available potentially involved with this issue. (CSM)
I’m basically just asking is there any useful information or options available to try and fix this issue.

Hardware Specs.
7600x Cpu
Asrock X670E PG Lightning Motherboard
G.Skill 5600Mhz RAM (2x16GB)
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB

UPDATE: Ive used full version of MiniTool Partition Wizard to convert the drive to GPT but there is still no boot.
Basically within bios menu and Compatibility mode on it shows the drives but when disabled it does not.
When booting the bios slash screen in displayed but after that it sits at a blank prompt screen.
I’m hoping someone has any suggestion because the only option left to try is build the old system again and if it boots try mbr2gpt tool.

UPDATE 2:
Using a 120GB SSD Ive installed Windows 10 and confirmed from initial observations that the hardware does work.
So now the hard part.
When I’m able to get the time the next step is to break down a secondary system (AMD FX 8370 CPU, Dual GTX 970’s GPU’s on a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Ultra Motherboard.) and install AM4 parts that I was trying to upgrade from with the main system. The goal is to see if the main system M.2 SSD can boot back into the former hardware and then see if mbr2gpt will allow that drive to boot into the new AM5 hardware.
The bad news…
If the AM4 system fails to boot I’ll end up with three none functional systems and will be forced to use my GPD Win 2 as a (Hopefully) temporary system.
There is a backup of the M.2 I’m trying to get working but its a mechanical hard drive. I guess its better then nothing for the AM4 system.
At this point its been almost a month trying to upgrade and get my main system working.
Generally just frustrated ASrocks motherboard has issues with booting.

UPDATE 3:
Rebuilt the AM4 system.
No boot…
Blank prompt after bios splash screen.
Assuming this is a Microsoft initializing issue relating to boot partition and/or the consistency of its data.
Its been over a month.
Still rocking the AM3 system.
(AMD FX 8370 CPU, Dual GTX 970’s GPU’s on a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Ultra Motherboard)
So now what?
Clear the M.2 drive and copy the backup disk onto it.
I’m not sure what options are still available.

UPDATE 4:
A month and a half later Ive been able to rebuild my AM4 system.
Copied the backup drive back onto the 1TB M.2.
I’m now contemplating what parts to buy to “attempt” to rebuild the AM5 system.
With any luck at some point I’ll be able to experience the AMD Ryzen 5 7600x CPU.
I’m still trying not to think about the fact that I deliberately waited for 5 years for a new platform release and here I am Still on a 1600x CPU with the 7600x sitting in a box waiting to be used.
At least The AM4 system is working again and it was nostalgic to use the AM3 system again.
Anyway back to “attempting” to get the AM5 system running.
At some point… :frowning:

Buy a new drive and install windows on that one.
Connect old drive as a second drive to the system after, copy all your data off.

Or rebuild your old PC how it was, boot up and copy all the data to a second drive, then put the new hardware in and install windows over, then copy your data back to the drive.

4 Likes

Yeah this pretty much never works and just ends up being an unstable mess even if it does. Your best bet is to just buy a cheap 1TB HDD, maybe two so you can have a duplicate copy… do a format + reinstall and copy your data back over.

https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-blue-desktop-sata-hdd#WD10EZEX

I would agree, use a low cost 2nd drive and install/boot off that, transfer/backup critical data and then do a fresh install on the primary drive.

Linux handles the hardware swap better, but windows not so much.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/agorafinancialwebsite/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/5minGIF-540px.gif

At what step is the system “not booting”? Hanging at a black BIOS screen? Windows starts then blue screens? etc.

If WIndows is complaining about inaccessible boot device, you can boot into recovery mode and let it fix the issue.

Windows 98 was the last win os that you could swap into another machine without it going belly up.
Ever since it has been the task of completely clean install with different hardware.
Registration of the copy of windows on the new machine disabled the copy on the old one
While win did work on the old you would get the illegal copy nag notice every time you booted the old machine and many of the os functions were disabled.

Funny thing though, we dont have that issue in linux.

No your only recourse here is to install a new drive, install windows,( unless you want to switch to linux).
install the second drive and copy the data you need to the new drive.

Numerous times ive done this, moved the data and files into their own directories and deleted the old windows os on the old drive to free up a lot of space.

Not sure why others seem to have struggled but have transferred windows installs onto new hardware many times.

Sounds like main issue is you are transferring from a legacy boot to a uefi boot, I’d suggest starting by getting the old hardware to gpt boot, you’ll need to use the mbr2gpt tool, then change bios settings on old systems. Once that is done put on latest AMD drivers then try the swap again.

There are other tricks if that still doesn’t work.

Are you open to running a virtual machine within a different OS? That setup can survive a lot more hardware swaps.

from the manual

3.8 Boot Screen
This section displays the available devices on your system for you to configure the
boot settings and the boot priority.
CSM
CSM (Compatibility Support Module) is enabled for better compatibility for the
non-UEFI driver add-on devices. If you are using UEFI aware OS and all of your
devices support UEFI, you may also disable CSM for faster boot speed.
Configuration options: [Disabled] [Enabled]

enable csm save and reboot back into uefi/bios. (this is MBR support enabled)
(if csm is off and you have mbr enabled drives they will be ignored and wont show in the drive list.)

on reboot your drives should show up and be bootable.
you can then, once running swap them over to gpt pretty easily…
once done disable csm support, save and reboot back into uefi and any drives you converted over should show up in the drive list.

1 Like

I used clonezilla to copy my fedora drive not sure how well windows handles it, but it might save you time for migration

I posted here

But some replies about having spare drives during os upgrades/migrations was helpful

For Windows 2000 and XP, Microsoft offered a “MergeIDE” fix in KB314082 that could be applied to your system, which would allow it to be moved to a different system with different IDE controller, without a blue screen and STOP error: Microsoft KB Archive/314082 - BetaArchive Wiki

With newer versions of Windows, the “Repair” option on the system install/restore is able to fix these kinds of boot controller driver issues, so you don’t need to apply such patches in advance.

Oh yes we do! Moving a Linux system between different hardware with different types of boot controllers (or even switching your SATA controller in the BIOS between Legacy or ATA and AHCI) will cause the system to panic on boot-up. It’s necessary to boot-up to a Linux Live CD and rebuild the initrd to include the correct loadable kernel module (i.e. driver) for your new/different boot controller. A few tools like Clonezilla will automatically perform this process for you as the final step. It can’t help with Windows, unfortunately.

1 Like

Ive never had a problem switching a linux drive between machines, ive had the same drive and os ( peppermint 10) in 4 different machines without a hitch.
Must be im lucky🤔

it has to do with the way the distro selects their packages. Most Distro’s include a wide range of support for x86 based CPU’s and platforms. At worst if you chanced GPUs from AMD to Nvidia or something like that you might need to change out your graphics drivers (because fuck you Nvidia).

If you just mean you don’t want to lose your documents, do what @EniGmA1987 said.

If you have applications that you no longer have the installers for/lost the license keys to and nothing else mentioned in this thread works, you have two options:

1. Install Windows on a new drive. Create a disk image of the old drive and use it in a VM.
  2. Install Windows on a new drive and painstakingly copy over program files and then go through the registry, copying over every key for your relevant applications.

You may think option 2 sounds impossible, but I’ve actually done it for some legal software for which the original installers had been lost (and for which the licenses for newer versions were too expensive to justify). It is painful, but it works.

To see which boot-time drivers get loaded, you can do:

sudo lsinitrd /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img | grep kernel/drivers/.*ko

Typically, storage drivers are usually either /scsi/ or /ata/. The ahci driver is quite common these days.

That won’t help you when your boot device changes. Windows will handle changing GPUs and other hardware as well, but will crash when the boot device driver isn’t right.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.