Wait, where are the UDIMM 48GB DDR5 Ecc dims?

So need to build some “low end” workstations…

Going with AM5, probably with 8950x or 7950x3D, and probably with a mATX mobo and case. GPU isn’t clear, but it needs nvidia, but with memory size, I had been using 3060 12Gb… Maybe 4060 16Gb. This is a work boxen for scientific work with data coming from instruments, software requires CUDA type stuff.

Needs lots of ram, but there are no 48GB ecc UDIMMs? Also not a whole lot of selection in the 32GB UDimm ECC fast category. I was hoping for 192Gb of ram in the box. 128Gb is light on in my space, it will do, but more is nice.

Now that threadripper is here, is Udimm ECC a dead end niche technology path?

1 Like

There are some exotic 48GB ECC udimms out there if you google it.

At some point Kingston or micron should have them and they will be more easily available. I just got some 48 gb non ECC modules and those are also in relatively short supply at the moment. I suspect the datacenter demand for the 24gb chips is high and this influences availability.

ECC UDIMM is for sure not dead, as your question proves. You want workstations that cost less than 4-5000, so ECC udimms are the only choice. The 16 and 32 GB variants are easily found (at least in Europe)

SAMSUNG is only sampling 48 GB 5600 MHz DDR5 UDIMM modules (product code M324R6GA3BB0-CWM ).

Axiom AXG1075102162/1 is actually already available for sale, but it’s slower at 4800 MT/s. The price has hovered around $300 with some brief dips.

I asked myself the same thing today. And found crucial 48gb ECC 5200mhz( I think it was 5200) on EBAY!

I’m worried though that the ECC doesn’t work on AM5. I don’t know how to verify if it is. I’ve emailed ASRock as I’m probs gonna buy a cheap pro RS x670e to get this cranking as it has 6x sata at the lowest price point.

What mobo are U going with?

Because of ECC state of AM5, and wanting a mATX board. Looks like the Asus B650 TUF Gaming MATX. However, I worry about the lack of USB ports. Ideally I would buy something without gaming in the name.

There seems heaps of these, a pretty good prices.

What part number.

With ECC I am always having problems of find modules that are actually ECC. often they are advertised as ECC but are not ECC modules.

1 Like

I also hate those manufacturers and vendors who make the extra effort to put “NON-ECC” in the product name or description or add OD-ECC as a marketable “feature.” They make for extremely frustrating searches because “NON-ECC” and “OD-ECC” also match the query term “ECC.”

It doesn’t help people who don’t care about ECC, but for those who are specifically looking for it… drives them nuts.

2 Likes

I finally got my hands on some 48GB 5600MHZ ECC UDIMMs for my Ryzen!
I popped them in and ran wmic MemPhysical get MemoryErrorCorrection and it returns a 6

2 Likes

Sauce?

1 Like

https://www.newegg.com/NEMIX-RAM-48GB/p/2SJ-000N-007M3?Item=9SIA7S6K3J9487

The DRAM ICs on them turned out to be SK Hynix

1 Like

The interesting thing is that it claims to be intended to be compatible with Samsung M324R6GA3BB0-CWM memory despite it only being in sampling stage. I would presume you would be able to get Samsung to replace it for you if it was the case that it borked itself somehow. Seems like NEMIX is jumping the gun here somehow with SK Hynix ICs which is really interesting. I wonder why SK Hynix doesn’t have their own stick but allows you to purchase those memory modules to make one yourself.

I’m not sure how much stock I put in Nemix’s claim of Samsung compatibility; perhaps its not a problem because the modules aren’t very fast and the timings aren’t tight though?
I had originally wanted to avoid the brand because they seemed a little sketchy, but I need a new server badly and this is all thats on the market. Turns out the PCB quality is good and the DRAM dies are SK Hynix so I’m not complaining anymore.

Looks like Amazon also has it in a kit of two.

NEMIX RAM 96GB (2X48GB) DDR5 5600MHZ PC5-44800 ECC UDIMM KIT ME44800-48

I am not familiar with the brand. What is the story behind it?

1 Like

I’m not very familiar with the brand either which was why I was avoiding it. Supposedly founded in 1993 so it doesn’t appear to be a random popup scam manufacturer.

It kind of reminds me of how Fry’s use to always carry Pacific Sun RAM and people would be confused as to who they were.

1 Like

Not fan of the brand personally if you care about rated speeds. If you care just about capacity, they are plenty good.

Gigabyte confirms its Intel 600/700 and AMD 600 motherboards will support up to 256GB memory capacity

Seeing as 64GB non-ECC DIMMs will start to exist soon, do you think theres a chance ECC UDIMMs will follow?

256GB of RAM in a W680 or AM5 system would be amazing

they have a webshop

The 48 GiB UDIMMs followed about half a year after the 48 GiB non-ECC UDIMMs were available. Not sure if this is a pattern or just happened for the 48 GiB capacity point.

1 Like

Find anywhere to buy these? They seem sold out everywhere… They’re on Amazon for 3k/stick or something though :roll_eyes:

I have the same problem, I need 8x48GB ECC and at the moment it’s very expensive and from companies I don’t know, so no recommendation but they seem to be available

Prices probably won’t be going down anytime soon