I have been tasked with the joy of fixing yet another Windows 10 related problem of my father’s PC, but cannot figure this one out on my own. I won’t put the full story down, only the most important things (semi-TL;DR).
Windows 10 32b Home
Microsoft account login
The original issue:
PC works the night before. No updates. Shut down correctly. Following day, cannot log into account with incorrect password message, despite the password being correct (using Microsoft account) and no network connectivity. Problems remains, no changes.
This is not a unique problem, more people have had this issue. Windows had a brainfart, blocks Microsoft login (password incorrect > password reset does not help) AND disables (presumably) network driver.
No wired internet connection (limited network access / yellow symbol), cannot test wireless (PC does not have antenna). Both wireless and wired do work on other systems on the same network. Boot is normal, BIOS works, Boot priority can be changed. Microsoft login password not accepted (even though it IS correct).
Issues preventing me from fixing this:
- Startup repair does not work from bootable USB.
- Cannot use system restore point (see X).
- Cannot use command prompt (see X) to create administrator bypass net user administrator /active: yes. Even if it worked, I would not know after (see topic).
- Cannot bypass Windows password using system recovery via sethc cmd trick (see 2).
- Cannot force startup repair via USB by using cmd of that USB and typing:
Bootrec /fixboot (fails)
Bootrec /scanos (0 drives detected)
Bootrec /rebuildbcd (fails - write only disk)
X) an older, existing problem of not enough RAM memory being able to be created (0xc0000017). This blocks me in trying the usual workarounds. I also cannot fix that error as well, as I cannot get into Windows desktop itself in order to implement the workarounds for this error code.
Safe mode does not help.
Things I will check tomorrow:
- Router settings
- Use dedicated network card, hoping pre-installed (if any) drivers work
I hope someone can aid me in this matter, before I am going to perform a clean install.
I’m afraid to use third-party software, such as PCUnlocker, without knowing if it’s safe to use.