VT-d compatable motherboard

Hello everyone
I am trying to upgrade my pc to x99 for VT-d support, and I'm having issues finding information on what motherboards are compatible, and work for gpu passthrough.
Would something like this work? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ITOLDQI/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_1_w

as far as I am aware, VT-d support is dependent upon the processor, not the motherboard. X99 is a high-end platform for workstations and enthusiast systems, with all the bells and whistles. Most if not all socket 2011-3 processors support VT-d. Mostly, the CPUs that don't support VT-d are unlocked Nehalem, Westmere, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge and Haswell Core i-series socket 115x processors such as the 2600K, 3770K and the 4770K (the unlocked Haswell Refresh processors do support it, however.)

tl;dr, the motherboard will work, but only because pretty much every processor it supports supports VT-d. unless you're using this machine for really heavy stuff like lots of virtual machines or video editing or rendering, X99 isn't really necessary.

2 Likes

oh ic, thank you for the fast reply. Just wanted to make sure so I don't end up with a part that's incompatible. I am one of the people with the I7 4770k, wanted to switch to Linux and keep windows for gaming when I have the time, but realized I couldn't with my CPU.

As @KemoKa73 said, VT-d support is a combo of chipset and CPU.

Furthermore, the Taichi you linked does have VT-d support specifically judging by the manual. Check out page 73: http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/X99%20Taichi.pdf

2 Likes

As far as i know any X99 board supports it.

Asrock X99 Taichi is a pretty decent choice for a X99 board.
vt-x and vt-d supported of course.

2 Likes

I hear ya. I'm in the same boat with my 2600K. with these older consumer platforms, you can have overclocking or VT-d, but not both. kinda sucks.

Seconding the Taichi board though, if you do decide to go X99. ASRock boards are <3

1 Like

Yeah unlocked Sandybridge and Ivybridge i5´s and i7´s didnt support vt-d.

Right, I figured the more expensive one would come with all the bells and whistles at the time I was buying. Then I was waiting for Ryzen, but it doesn't seem to work on there either, and with no fix yet, really really sad.

Thanx for all the help though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem :smiley:

1 Like

I can confirm the 3 different X99 boards (2 x Gigabyte + 1 MSI) I've built recently all support VT-x/VT-d but with an i7 5820K & E5 2630 v3 Xeon processors.

I haven't tried VT-D or iommu before, but from Wendel's videos, some boards/cpus/chipsets support virtualization and PCIE passthrough, but sometimes group up the interfaces so much that you can't reasonably use iommu for most use cases. He complained about it with Ryzen in his Ryzen videos. I'm not sure if it's something that varies with mobo to mobo, or if all X99 boards group the i/o the same way. Try looking at Wendel's iommu and windows VM gaming videos to see if he used an X99 machine in any of them. His recent X99 board reviews might have the iommu groupings in them.

1 Like

I actually just picked up the Taichi board, got it for $160. Hope it works out, but ty for the suggestions.

Would any one suggest a good distro for this? I used Ubuntu in the passed, over all enjoyed the experience only reason I switched back was bc of gaming.